Subject: PW Type IANA value

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 13:43:23 +0200

I think we need a central "IANA Considerations" section for assignment of a PW
Type identifier. This would be a numeric PW Type that we could use for
identifying the PW in any signalling, auto-discovery, provisioning, etc. We
should probably have a range set aside for WG generated pseudowire methods, as
well a range for informational and vendor-specific methods. This needs to be
well-documented and communicated to IANA.

Such text should either be a part of one of the central documents within PWE3
(e.g. framework, protocol-layering, etc.) or its own standalone document.

My preference would be for a short, standalone, "IANA Considerations for the
Pseudowire Type Identifier" document to present to IANA so that preparation for
assignment procedures may be underway as soon as possible, and that other
protocols (such as L2TP, LDP, etc) may have a normative reference to the PW Type
without having to point to a PWE3 document with far broader scope.

If no one has objections to this, I have an IANA Considerations template that I
could put some text into myself for all here to review, or I would be happy to
let someone else volunteer for the job.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks,

- Mark

---

From: Sasha Vainshtein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 15:30:12 +0200

Mark,
A short standalone document would be very nice. 

With best regards,
                                   Sasha Vainshtein
email:     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
tel:       +972-3-7659993 (office)
           +972-8-9254948 (res.)
           +972-58-674833 (cell.)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: W. Mark Townsley [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2002 1:43 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [PWE3] PW Type IANA value
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> pwe3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3
>

---

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:13:03 -0600

Yes I agree. A separate document would be easier to maintain.

If you don't want to edit it yourself i can pick this up.

Luca