Subject: Re: draft-ietf-pwe3-sonet-00

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:27:38 -0400

Mudhafar,

1. See if draft-pate-pwe3-sonet-vt-00.txt meets your needs, and if not 
you're certainly welcome to propose new text to either or both drafts.

2. The SONET draft is aimed at STS-1 and above and mainly for when a common 
timing reference is available at both ends of the circuit.  Sections 3 and 
6 in the draft address the synchronization and jitter issues in the 
fidelity of the emulated service.  In our own implementation, we've found 
so far in practice that a 15 ms receiver buffer is sufficient to provide an 
excellent quality service when used in conjunction with an appropriately 
traffic engineered path through the network.  For lower-rate services, 
there have been any number of papers on how well AAL1 can carry DS1 and DS3 
services that may be instructive and generalizable for other PSNs besides 
ATM.  You might want to do an IEEE Network or IEEE Proceedings literature 
search.

Cheers,
Andy

------

At 8/26/2002 01:37 PM -0700, Mudhafar Hassan-Ali wrote:

>Andy,
>
>In reference to draft-ietf-pwe3-sonet-00 (July 2002), I have the
>following comments:
>
>1. It seems a need to include virtual concatenations in addition to the
>contiguous concatenations in SONET/SDH.
>2. Has any one done simulation or mathematical modeling for the time
>synchronization issues when STS/VT/DS1/DS3 are carried over packet?
>
>Mudhafar