Subject: Question on draft-ietf-pwe3i-ethernet-encap-00.txt

From: "Mitsuru Higashiyama" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:23:09 +0900

Hello.

I have question in draft-ietf-pwe3i-ethernet-encap-00.txt.

In section 4.4, it says
   In this mode each frame SHOULD NOT include an 802.1Q field.

In the old indivisual drafts such as:
    draft-martini-ethernet-encap-mpls-01.txt
    draft-so-pwe3-ethernet.txt 
they said
    In this mode each frame MAY include an 802.1Q field.  

Why was it changed ?

In the VPLS application, PE will act an bridge. In the other words,
tagged and untagged frames may be sent on one PW.
GARP will be responsible to decide to indicate VLAN explicitly or
implicitly for each packets.

The other mode (VPLS mode) is required for this application ?

Best regards,
Mitsuru Higashiyama
Anritsu Corp.