Subject: message #2 from ITU-T SG 13

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:09:08 -0400 (EDT)

ITU - Telecommunication Standardization Sector	TD16 (WP3/13)
STUDY GROUP 13

Chitose, Japan, 8 July 2002
Question(s):	11/13
SOURCE*:	ITU-T Working Party 3/13 (Chitose, Japan, 8 July 2002)

TITLE:	Voice Services over MPLS

__________________

LIAISON STATEMENT

TO : 		IETF PWE3 WG
APPROVAL:	Agreed to at Working Party 3/13 meeting
FOR:		Action
DEADLINE:	October 15h 2002 

Contacts:	
	Marco Carugi	Tel: +33 2 96053617
	Q.11/13 Rapporteur	Email: [email-masked]

	Ghassem Koleyni	Tel: +1 613 7634154
	Q.5/13 Rapporteur	Email: [email-masked]

At the Working Party 3/13 meeting in Chitose (Japan), it was noted that the
PWE3 WG is working on the transport of TDM signals over MPLS, that might
include voice services.

SG 13 has initiated work on transporting voice services over MPLS.
Accordingly, there are two draft Recommendations under development:

1) Y.vompls "Service Requirements and Architecture for Voice Services over
   MPLS"
2) Y.protocolx "Protocol Specification for Transport of Voice Services over
   MPLS"

Current text of draft Recommendation Y.vompls may be found at
http://www.itu.int/itu-t/studygroups/com13/ip/sg13-ietf-ftp.html.
In order to harmonize the work in this area, Working Party 1/13 would like
to cooperate and coordinate with PWE3 to develop consistent specifications
to ensure interoperability.

Working party 3/13 encourages PWE3 members to exchange ideas and
information via correspondence as well as participate into ITU-T SG 13
meetings to develop a common set of standards.

It is the intention of SG 13 to proceed for consent of Y.vompls at the end
of next October November 2002 SG 13 meeting in Geneva. Consequently, we
encourage PWE3 members to provide input as soon as possible, in particular
on contents related to Y.vompls.

Working Party 3/13 requests PWE3 to inform them of the status and scope of
the IETF activities in this  topic. Working Party 3/13 looks forward to
working closely with PWE3 WG to develop a consistent set of standards for
the industry in this important area.