Subject: MTU question

From: Eli Angel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 12:53:40 +0200

According to the MATINI draft "The network MUST be configured with an MTU
that is sufficient to transport the largest encapsulation frames"
and a packet must be dropt  if exceeds the MTU, In the case of an Ethernet
PDU over an MPLS tunnel is there a requirement  from the L2 edge LSR to
support 
Path Mtu Discovery.

will appreciate a response ,Thanks 

Eli Angel 
Seabridge Ltd.
Tel: +972-9-7751340
mailto:[email-masked]
www.seabridgenetworks.com

---

From: Giles Heron <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 May 2002 15:36:02 +0000

No - there's no requirement for path MTU discovery.

Bear in mind that PWE3 will typically be deployed over an SP's private
MPLS or IP backbone so the MTU should be known.  However in an IP or an
RSVP-TE signalled MPLS backbone PMTU discovery could be used if
required.  In the LDP case there is a draft around on PMTU discovery
(draft-black-ldp-mtu-extensions-02).

Giles

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 10:53, Eli Angel wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> pwe3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3
> 
-- 
=================================================================
Giles Heron    Principal Network Architect    PacketExchange Ltd.
ph: +44 7880 506185              "if you build it they will yawn"
=================================================================