Subject: TDM Encapsulation selection

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:43:40 +0100

In thinking about the PWE3 wire emulation/TDM issues that 
we keep circling around, perhaps we should take the following 
approach:

Each of the TDM design teams should write a network resiliency 
statement indicating network delay, jitter, packet drop rate, 
transient rate and transient duration that they are resilent to,
and the behaviour when this is exceeded.
 
They should also state for reference the above network
characteristics assumed by the native service designers.
 
In parallel with this perhaps we should gather together 
statistics on same for some PSN representative networks.

We could then select the encapsulation based on the following 
criteria:

1) Ability to satisfy the native service requirements

2) Best behaviour under worstening network conditions

3) Simplicity.

Thoughts

Stewart