Subject: RE: draft-cohen-pwe3-tdmsonetapp-00.txt

From: Yaakov Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:11:33 +0300

Greetings to all the authors of the above draft.

I was going to send this email to the authors,
but when I started typing their numerous addresses
I decided that I might as well send to the entire PWE list.

I have a technical question regarding this draft.

In the PWE requirements document we find the following
explanation of an "Applicability Statement":

  5.  Faithfulness of Emulated Services

   An emulated service SHOULD be as similar to the native service as
   possible, but it is not REQUIRED that they should be identical. The
   applicability statement of a PWE3 service MUST report any limitations
   of the emulated service.  <snip>

Similarly, in the framework document we find:

   From the customer perspective, the PW is perceived as an unshared
   link or circuit of the chosen service.  However, there may be
   deficiencies that impede some applications from being carried on a
   PW.  These limitations should be fully described in the appropriate
   service-specific Encapsulation, Emulation and Maintenance Documents
   (EEMDs) and Applicability Statements (ASes).

Based on these WG documents, the definition of an AS
is a document which defines the limitations of the emulated service
as compared to the native one.

The draft in the subject line is indeed an interesting one,
explaning how two previously unrelated TDM drafts could
"divide up the application space" between them, 
in a way extremely similar to what I have been proposing all along.
(Please recall my summary of the Tel Aviv TDM meeting.)

It is all the more interesting in that the authors of two of the TDM
drafts could resolve their previously unresolvable differences,
but didn't consider inviting the third draft 
(actually the first draft chronologically) authors to participate.

I just don't understand how this draft is an "Applicability Statement"
according the meaning of that term as defined in the WG documents.

Y(J)S