Subject: draft-tsenevir-gre-subip-00.txt - Comments

From: "Tissa Senevirathne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:46:25 +0000

Following draft present a unified method of transporting sub-ip protocols 
and services using GRE. In this draft we propose to use a unique GRE 
protocol type to represent sub-ip encapsulations. Part of the GRE Key is 
used to identify the type of the protocol/service that is emulated within 
the sub-ip family. This approach avoids use of multiple different protocol 
types emulate many services presented in sub-ip area.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tsenevir-gre-subip-00.txt

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:53:48 -0500

Tissa,

We already have a method of using GRE to carry sub-ip protocols, by using 
draft-ietf-mpls-in-ip-or-gre-00.txt.  Do we really need another?

Thanks,
Andy

-------

At 3/12/2003 03:46 PM +0000, Tissa Senevirathne wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>pwe3 mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: "Tissa Senevirathne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:34:59 +0000

Andy

In addition to carrying IP we are also now talking about carrying Ethernet 
or even ATM cells, FrameRelay. So the motivation is to come up with a unfied 
approach that does not have to depend on MPLS. In that sense I think, the 
new submission covers areas that is not covered in 
draft-ietf-mpls-in-ip-or-gre-00.txt.

Why would one wanted to do encapsulate in MPLS and then MPLS in IP, if one 
can directly encapsulate in to IP ?

Thanks

Tissa

>From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
>To: "Tissa Senevirathne" <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [PWE3] draft-tsenevir-gre-subip-00.txt - Comments
>Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:53:48 -0500
>
>Tissa,
>

_________________________________________________________________
Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail