Subject: Re: C-bit negotiation in draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-10.txt

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:17:37 -0600

Kjeld Borch Egevang wrote:

> In "6.2. PW types for which the control word is NOT mandatory". Why is 
> this complicated behaviour introduced? Why not do almost the same as 
> in 6.1, i.e:
>
I'm not completely clear on what your point is , but the C-bit 
negotiation has been implemented, deployed  and works well.
The advantage is to be able to inter-operate with some platforms that 
might not implement the CW , while still use it if possible.

Luca

>       -iii. If the received Label Mapping message has c=1, and the PW is
>             locally configured such that the use of the control word is
>             not preferred or the control word is not supported, then
>             send a Label Release message with the "Wrong c-bit" status
>             code.
>
> and receive behaviour:
>
>       -iii. A Label Release with a "Wrong c-bit" status code and the
>             Label Mapping message that was sent has c=1. In this case,
>             send a Label Mapping message that has c=0. The control word
>             is not used.
>
> /Kjeld
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> pwe3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3
>

---

From: Kjeld Borch Egevang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 09:15:37 +0200

Luca Martini wrote:

>> In "6.2. PW types for which the control word is NOT mandatory". Why 
>> is this complicated behaviour introduced? Why not do almost the same 
>> as in 6.1, i.e:
>>

But the document has not been accepted as a standard yet, right? Isn't 
it reasonable to change the draft if something can be simplified?

/Kjeld

---

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:11:18 -0600

Actually the document has gone past last call , and is in the AD queue. 
All I can do at this point is fix english grammar , or spelling.
Also the WG seems to have consensus of keeping this functionality in.

Luca