Subject: Re: RSVP-TE and PW

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:51:00 -0400

> I meant that a PW Switching node must make sure that the bandwidth, packet
> loss and delay  characteristics of the PW are met. In  other words: if the
> PW  switching node  can  switch a  certain  amount of  bandwidth, it  must
> allocate some of this bandwidth to the PW.  

I don't think so.   The switching node just assigns the PW  to an LSP tunnel
with appropriate QoS characteristics.  The  data plane model is that packets
move from one  tunnel to the next by dint of  ordinary MPLS switching.  Thus
the  relevant QoS characteristics  are characteristics  of the  LSP tunnels.
There are no  resources or queuing strategies that are  under the control of
the PW control plane. 

I think it is  appropriate to say that the QoS object  is "opaque" to the PW
control  protocol,  because  the  PW  control  protocol  does  not  need  to
understand  the queuing or  other resource  allocation strategies  needed to
provide the  QoS.  Providing the  necessary QoS is  the function of  the LSP
tunnels.

---

From: Chris Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:22:50 -0700

>There are no  resources or queuing strategies that are  under the control of

I think I agree ... but is this true even if you PHP the LSP tunnel label 
of the
preceding PW segment and the packet arrives at the switching PE with just
a PW label?

<snip>