Subject: [PWE3] RFC 5994 on Application of Ethernet Pseudowires to MPLS Transport Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 12:17:17 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5994

        Title:      Application of Ethernet Pseudowires to 
                    MPLS Transport Networks 
        Author:     S. Bryant, Ed.,
                    M. Morrow, G. Swallow,
                    R. Cherukuri, T. Nadeau,
                    N. Harrison, B. Niven-Jenkins
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 24394
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-transport-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5994.txt

Ethernet pseudowires are widely deployed to support packet transport
of Ethernet services.  These services in-turn provide transport for a
variety of client networks, e.g., IP and MPLS.  This document uses
procedures defined in the existing IETF specifications of Ethernet
pseudowires carried over MPLS networks.

Many of the requirements for the services provided by the mechanisms
explained in this document are also recognized by the MPLS transport
profile (MPLS-TP) design effort formed jointly by the IETF and ITU-T.
The solution described here does not address all of the MPLS-TP
requirements, but it provides a viable form of packet transport
service using tools that are already available.

This document also serves as an indication that existing MPLS
techniques form an appropriate basis for the design of a fully-
featured packet transport solution addressing all of the requirements
of MPLS-TP.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Pseudo Wire Emulation Edge to Edge Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC