Subject: [PWE3] VCCV Iplementation Survey Questions List - Feedback/Comments Solicited...

From: "Delregno, Christopher N (Nick DelRegno)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:00:06 +0000

Folks:

As many of you are aware, in the Anaheim PWE3 session I presented the
issue of incompatibility between VCCV Control Channel implementations
and a draft presenting a mandated control channel support.  Based on
that, and related CW discussions, we agreed to launch a VCCV
Implementation Survey.

Below is a strawman list of questions we plan to ask.  Please provide
any comments and/or suggested edits/adds.  We will be sending this out
before the Beijing meeting.

Thanks,

Nick

Christopher N. "Nick" DelRegno

CNT, Ethernet Network Architecture & Design

400 International Pkwy

Richardson, TX  75081

Tel:  972-729-3411

Email:  [email-masked]

Have a look at the outline below.  I don't know that SPs will be
willing/able to provide detail information regarding what hardware
models, revisions, software revs, etc.  However, we can ask.  The main
thing is out of the 15 currently defined encap types and modes, only 6
have optional CWs.  It is important that we know how widely these are
used without Control Words so we understand the impact of making CWs
mandatory.  Further, it would be good to know where CW is optional, what
are the SPs using...

Let me know your thoughts.  I'm sure I have missed some things, so don't
hesitate to suggest additional topics/questions.

Note that I realize that PPP, HDLC and Frame Relay (Port Mode) all are
essentially the same encapsulation.  However, it is conceiveable that
SPs might use CWs for one and not the others.

Thanks,

Nick

1)      Network in General

a)      PW Types used in your network

                                                                     i.
Ethernet Tagged Mode

                                                                   ii.
Ethernet VLAN Mode

                                                                  iii.
SAToP

                                                                 iv.
PPP

                                                                   v.
HDLC

                                                                 vi.
Frame Relay (Port Mode)

                                                                vii.
Frame Relay (1:1 Mode)

                                                              viii.
ATM (N:1 Cell Mode)

                                                                 ix.
ATM (1:1 Cell Mode)

                                                                   x.
ATM (AAL5 SDU Mode)

                                                                 xi.
ATM (AAL5 PDU Mode)

                                                                xii.
CEP

                                                              xiii.
CESoPSN

                                                              xiv.
TDMoIP

                                                               xv.
Fiber Channel

b)      Approximately how many PWs are deployed of each encapsulation
type?

                                                                     i.
Ethernet Tagged Mode

                                                                   ii.
Ethernet VLAN Mode

                                                                  iii.
SAToP

                                                                 iv.
PPP

                                                                   v.
HDLC

                                                                 vi.
Frame Relay (Port Mode)

                                                                vii.
Frame Relay (1:1 Mode)

                                                              viii.
ATM (N:1 Cell Mode)

                                                                 ix.
ATM (1:1 Cell Mode)

                                                                   x.
ATM (AAL5 SDU Mode)

                                                                 xi.
ATM (AAL5 PDU Mode)

                                                                xii.
CEP

                                                              xiii.
CESoPSN

                                                              xiv.
TDMoIP

                                                               xv.
Fiber Channel

c)       Please indicate which VCCV Control Channel is used for each
encapsulation type.

                                                                     i.
Ethernet Tagged Mode

                                                                   ii.
Ethernet VLAN Mode

                                                                  iii.
SAToP

                                                                 iv.
PPP

                                                                   v.
HDLC

                                                                 vi.
Frame Relay (Port Mode)

                                                                vii.
Frame Relay (1:1 Mode)

                                                              viii.
ATM (N:1 Cell Mode)

                                                                 ix.
ATM (1:1 Cell Mode)

                                                                   x.
ATM (AAL5 SDU Mode)

                                                                 xi.
ATM (AAL5 PDU Mode)

                                                                xii.
CEP

                                                              xiii.
CESoPSN

                                                              xiv.
TDMoIP

                                                               xv.
Fiber Channel

d)      Please indicate which VCCV Connectivity Verification type is
used for each encapsulation type.

                                                                     i.
Ethernet Tagged Mode

                                                                   ii.
Ethernet VLAN Mode

                                                                  iii.
SAToP

                                                                 iv.
PPP

                                                                   v.
HDLC

                                                                 vi.
Frame Relay (Port Mode)

                                                                vii.
Frame Relay (1:1 Mode)

                                                              viii.
ATM (N:1 Cell Mode)

                                                                 ix.
ATM (1:1 Cell Mode)

                                                                   x.
ATM (AAL5 SDU Mode)

                                                                 xi.
ATM (AAL5 PDU Mode)

                                                                xii.
CEP

                                                              xiii.
CESoPSN

                                                              xiv.
TDMoIP

                                                               xv.
Fiber Channel

2)      Network Specifics

a.       For each network please indicate which vendor's equipment is
used:

                                                               i.
Network A

1.       System A

a.       Number in use

b.      Hardware Type/Model

i.      Control Hardware Type and Revision

ii.      Line Card Hardware Type and Revision

c.       Software Release

d.      VCCV Control Channel Supported

e.      VCCV Control Channel Used

2.       System B

a.       Number in use

b.      Hardware Type/Model

i.      Control Hardware Type and Revision

ii.      Line Card Hardware Type and Revision

c.       Software Release

d.      VCCV Control Channel Supported

e.      VCCV Control Channel Used

f.        VCCV Connectivity Verification Supported

g.       VCCV Connectivity Verification Used

3.       Etc...

                                                             ii.
Network B

1.       System A

a.       Number in use

b.      Hardware Type/Model

i.      Control Hardware Type and Revision

ii.      Line Card Hardware Type and Revision

c.       Software Release

d.      VCCV Control Channel Supported

e.      VCCV Control Channel Used

f.        VCCV Connectivity Verification Supported

g.       VCCV Connectivity Verification Used

h.       

2.       System B

a.       Number in use

b.      Hardware Type/Model

i.      Control Hardware Type and Revision

ii.      Line Card Hardware Type and Revision

c.       Software Release

d.      VCCV Control Channel Supported

e.      VCCV Control Channel Used

f.        VCCV Connectivity Verification Supported

g.       VCCV Connectivity Verification Used

h.       

3.       Etc...

                                                            iii.
Etc...