Subject: [RADIR] (no subject)

From: "John G. Scudder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:38:47 -0400

Geoff,

In radir discussions one question that's come up is what the trend is  
with respect to prefix stability.  Seems like there are a few ways to  
slice the question:

- Simple mean per-prefix stability
- Mean stability after filtering "bad actors"
- "Highly active" prefixes (see below; maybe this is the inverse of  
the previous?)

This is in aid of answering the question of whether the update rate  
can generally be expected to increase at the same rate as the DFZ  
table size, at a greater rate (as it would if mean prefix stability  
were decreasing) or at a lower rate (as it would if mean stability  
were increasing).

In discussing this of course your name and http://bgp.potaroo.net  
were raised.  It looks to me as though the data available there is  
only for the last few weeks, so doesn't provide enough history to  
answer the question, but I imagine you must have the data available.

Another reference that came up was http://irl.cs.ucla.edu/papers/ 
globecom2005.ppt, which approaches a related problem, that of "highly  
active" prefixes.  The data presented there seems to indicate that  
the absolute number of "highly active" prefixes remained more or less  
constant over three years, which means it has been going down as a  
percentage of table size.  (See slide 9 of the deck.)  This is mildly  
suggestive that there is good news regarding prefix stability.

Anyway, if you can help with either answers or pointers to work  
already done, that would be great.

Thanks,

--John

_______________________________________________
RADIR mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radir