Subject: Re: [regext] draft-ietf-regext-epp-fees-02 : autoRenewPeriod and delete response

From: "Gould, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 18:22:24 +0000

Inclusion of grace period credits is timed based (logic executed at the time of the delete) and is much more involved than returning the applicable prices.  The extension of the availability check command in draft-ietf-regext-epp-fees-02 is already far beyond what is reasonable for an extension to check, so we should look to separate this into an extension to info in the form of a fee info command.  The RGP extension already includes information associated with the applicable grace periods, so inclusion of the actual credit values may not be necessary.       
  
—
 
JG

James Gould
Distinguished Engineer
[email-masked]

703-948-3271
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

VerisignInc.com <http://verisigninc.com/> 

On 3/20/17, 12:50 PM, "regext on behalf of Thomas Corte" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Hello Matthieu,
    
    On 17/03/2017 18:19, Matthieu Jacob wrote:
    
    > Hello,
    > 
    > I have a question about the delete command and precisely about the
    > response when you delete a domain which is in autoRenewPeriod and the
    > registrar has fee extension selected during the login, do we need to
    > give the amount refund of the autorenew into the delete response?
    
    Since the purpose of the extension is to tell registrars the financial
    impact of a command, the delete response should indeed list all credits
    (which includes applicable auto-renew credits, but also other potential
    credits due to the domain being in its add/renew/transfer grace period)
    via the fee extension.
    
    We implemented this for the fee-0.11 version. fee-0.15 additionally lists
    "delete" as a viable command to be passed to the <fee:check> command, so
    I believe it's now also necessary to determine such credits when the
    deletion fees are merely checked for a specific domain name, i.e. to
    return the credits that would be granted if the domain was deleted at the
    time the <fee:check> is received.
    
    Best regards,
    
    Thomas Corte
    
    -- 
    TANGO REGISTRY SERVICES®
    Knipp Medien und Kommunikation GmbH                    Thomas Corte
    Technologiepark                             Phone: +49 231 9703-222
    Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9                       Fax: +49 231 9703-200
    D-44227 Dortmund                      E-Mail: [email-masked]
    Germany
    
    _______________________________________________
    regext mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/regext

---

From: Thomas Corte <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:31:06 +0100

Hello James,

On 2017-03-20 19:22, Gould, James wrote:

> Inclusion of grace period credits is timed based (logic executed at
> the time of the delete) and is much more involved than returning the
> applicable prices.  The extension of the availability check command
> in draft-ietf-regext-epp-fees-02 is already far beyond what is
> reasonable for an extension to check, so we should look to separate
> this into an extension to info in the form of a fee info command.
> The RGP extension already includes information associated with the
> applicable grace periods, so inclusion of the actual credit values
> may not be necessary.

Granted, knowledge about the applicable grace periods reveals potential
refunds upon deletion, but not the actual amounts.

That said, I agree that conducting time-based checks based on a concrete
domain's life cycle status for a <fee:check> seems excessive, especially
since the actual outcome of a deletion may be different even if it is
performed only seconds later.

While our current implementation of <fee:check> (for fee-0.11) returns
expected fees based on the launch phase a specified domain was
registered in (if the domain exists), it does not consider any other
attributes of the domain in question. I believe it a good idea to retain
this behavior for checks on domain deletion, effectively meaning that
(in a standard pricing model where deletions are free and no refund is
granted outside of grace periods) no fees or credits would ever be
returned by a fee check for the "delete" command.

However (going back to Matthieu's question), I believe the fee extension
in a response to an actual <domain:delete> should indeed return the
actual credits granted if the domain is within some grace period(s) at
the time of deletion.

Best regards,

Thomas

-- 
TANGO REGISTRY SERVICES® is a product of:
Knipp Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
Technologiepark                             Phone: +49 231 9703-222
Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9                       Fax: +49 231 9703-200
D-44227 Dortmund                       E-Mail: [email-masked]
Germany