Subject: questions on whois

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:44:26 +0300

Hello,

Here is a new comer for this WG, who wishes someone would help him for the
questions: Except for searching the registered information of users, hosts,
and organizations, 
do or will we use the WHOIS database to help inter-domain networking ? How
serious issue is the WHOIS database to the Internet? Thank you a lot.

Haitao

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:34:52 -0700 (PDT)

Quite a few ISPs configure their routers with policies from the whois
(routing registry database, e.g. from whois.ra.net,
whois.ripe.net). The level at which they configure their routers from
these databases varies. Nevertheless, for these ISPs, the database is
quite serious.

> serious issue is the WHOIS database to the Internet? Thank you a lot.

Cengiz

-- 
Cengiz Alaettinoglu           Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/~cengiz    University of Southern California

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:57:44 -0700 (PDT)

Someone suggested that you may actually mean
whois.(arin|internic).net, which yield domain name info via the whois
protocol.  no one i know uses these for routing (at least not so far).

Cengiz