Subject: Regarding definition of component and composite link

From: Sriganesh Kini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 07:29:24 -0800

Hi Dave (and other authors),

It may be useful to clarify in the definition of component and composite
links in sec 3, whether the component links share the same endpoints as the
composite that it belongs to.

While this may seem trivially obvious, consider a topology such as

 +-----+            +----------+
 |     |------------| Ethernet |             +------+
 |LSR A|            | Switch   |-------------|LSR B |
 |     |------------|          |             +------+
 +-----+            +----------+

Here LSR A and the Ethernet Switch are connected by an Ethernet Link Group
having two (component) links. The switch itself may be bridging or simply
cross-connecting the Link Group to the link to LSR B. LSR A and LSR B have a
link between themselves through the ethernet switch. By the definition in
sec 3 it may be possible to interpret that LSR A has a 2 member composite
link to another LSR.

Another way to reword the definition in sec 3 may be to use the term
subnetwork similar to the ITU-T definition.

Thanks

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> This is to announce a working group last call on
>      draft-ietf-rtgwg-cl-requirement-03
> to conclude on February 7, 2011.
>
> Please do read this version and send your comments to the list.
>
> Alia
> _______________________________________________
> rtgwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtgwg

-- 
- Sri

---

From: "So, Ning" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 15:14:18 +0000

The current definition limits the component link to "a point-to-point
physical or logical link that preserves ordering in the steady state".
As one of the co-authors, I do not see the need to extend the definition
beyond its current definition as it introduces much more complexity with
limited benefits, from my point-of-view.   

Best regards,

Ning So

Network Evolution Planning

Verizon, Inc.

(office) 972-729-7905

(Cell) 972-955-0914

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Sriganesh Kini
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 9:29 AM
To: Alia Atlas; McDysan, David E (Dave)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Regarding definition of component and composite link

It may be useful to clarify in the definition of component and composite
links in sec 3, whether the component links share the same endpoints as
the composite that it belongs to.

 +-----+            +----------+

 +-----+            +----------+

Here LSR A and the Ethernet Switch are connected by an Ethernet Link
Group having two (component) links. The switch itself may be bridging or
simply cross-connecting the Link Group to the link to LSR B. LSR A and
LSR B have a link between themselves through the ethernet switch. By the
definition in sec 3 it may be possible to interpret that LSR A has a 2
member composite link to another LSR.

Thanks

-- 
- Sri