Subject: Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:44:35 -0700

Please see below for a new draft entitled: "Asymmetric Extended
Route Optimization (AERO). This document was derived from the
Section 5.14 text of 'draft-templin-intarea-vet-24', which I
briefed during the Monday rtgwg session under the (cryptic)
title of: "On-demand dynamic route optimizations between tunnel
endpoints".

AERO is based on ordinary ICMP Redirect messages, but it is
different from classical redirection in that the gateway first
sends a "Predirect" forward to the egress link node. The egress
establishes RPF filtering entries, then sends a "Redirect"
messsage back to the ingress link node via the gateway. The
ingress then can know that the egress is ready to accept its
tunneled packets directly without involving the gateway.

This work is a bit of a "crossover" technology, in that
it is using intarea constructs (i.e., ICMP redirects) to
produce rtgarea results. However, I would like to get
discussion on the document on this list to determine if
it can be considered as a rtgwg working item.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-templin-aero-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)
	Author(s)       : F. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-aero-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2011-03-29

Nodes (i.e., gateways, routers and hosts) attached to link types such
as multicast-capable, shared media and non-broadcast multiple access
(NBMA), etc. can exchange packets as neighbors on the link.  Each
node should therefore be able to discover a neighboring gateway that
can provide default routing services to reach off-link destinations,
and should also accept redirection messages from the gateway
informing it of a neighbor that is closer to the final destination.
This redirect function can provide a useful route optimization, since
the triangular path from the ingress link neighbor, to the gateway,
and finally to the egress link neighbor may be considerably longer
than the direct path between the neighbors.  However, ordinary
redirection may lead to operational issues on certain link types
and/or in certain deployment scenarios.  This document therefore
introduces an Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)
capability that addresses the issues.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-aero-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.