Subject: FW: I-D Action: draft-retana-rtgwg-eacp-01.txt

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:52:52 +0000

[Chair hat off.]

Hi!

We just published an update (a refresh really) of the draft below.

The draft is NOT a set of requirements to be solved in the realm of power
aware/energy efficient networking.  We are not trying to define
requirements on how to save energy, how much energy should be saved, how,
when or where.  Nor are we recommending any specific solution.

So, what is it? ;-)   The intent of the draft is to "provide the tools and
knowledge necessary for protocol designers to modify network protocols to
best balance efficiency against performance, and to provide the background
   information network operators will need to intelligently deploy and use
protocol modifications to network protocols."

In other words..  We recognize that saving energy may be in many people's
minds, but we also recognize that networks have been designed/deployed
with a set of business (availability, ability to satisfy customer SLAs,
for example) and application (min bw, jitter/delay budgets, for instance)
requirements in mind, which need to still be satisfied even while saving
energy.

The draft goes on to evaluate considerations derived from the
business/application requirements that may be affected by applying common
methods of reducing energy (reducing the topology or reducing the link
speed, for example):  bw reduction, stretch, fast recovery, introducing
jitter and other operational aspects.

As an example, we mention (section 5.1) that eliminating links from the
topology (shutting them down or putting them in a "low power state")
should result in lower energy utilization..but that it will also affect
the total available bw in the network.  The requirement then comes in in
the form of "Modifications to control plane protocols to achieve network
energy efficiency SHOULD provide the ability to set the minimal bandwidth,
   jitter, and delay through the network".  I'll leave you to read some of
the other examples/considerations and requirements.

The end result of the draft is the definition of a framework against which
we can evaluate "the tradeoffs between modifications made to network
protocols to conserve energy and network performance metrics and
requirements".

Thanks!

Alvaro.

On 2/13/13 10:18 AM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>
>
>	Title           : A Framework and Requirements for Energy Aware Control
>Planes
>	Author(s)       : Alvaro Retana
>                          Russ White
>                          Manuel Paul
>	Filename        : draft-retana-rtgwg-eacp-01.txt
>	Pages           : 16
>	Date            : 2013-02-13
>
>Abstract:
>   There has been, for several years, a rising concern over the energy
>   usage of large scale networks.  This concern is strongly focused on
>   campus, data center, and other highly concentrated deployments of
>   network infrastructure.  Given the steadily increasing demand for
>   higher network speeds, always-on service models, and ubiquitous
>   network coverage, it is also of growing importance for
>   telecommunication networks both local and wide area in scope.  One of
>   the issues in moving forward to reduce energy usage is to ensure that
>   the network can still meet the performance specifications required to
>   support the applications running over it.
>
>   This document provides an overview of the various areas of concern in
>   the interaction between network performance and efforts at energy
>   aware control planes, as a guide for those working on modifying
>   current control planes or designing new control planes to improve the
>   energy efficiency of high density, highly complex, network
>   deployments.
>
>
>The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-retana-rtgwg-eacp
>
>There's also a htmlized version available at:
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-retana-rtgwg-eacp-01
>
>A diff from the previous version is available at:
>http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-retana-rtgwg-eacp-01
>
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
>_______________________________________________
>I-D-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
>Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt