Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rtgwg-ordered-fib-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 10:35:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Routing Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Framework for Loop-free convergence using oFIB
	Author(s)       : Mike Shand
                          Stewart Bryant
                          Stefano Previdi
                          Clarence Filsfils
                          Pierre Francois
                          Olivier Bonaventure
	Filename        : draft-ietf-rtgwg-ordered-fib-12.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2013-05-24

Abstract:
   This document describes an illustrative framework of a mechanism for
   use in conjunction with link state routing protocols which prevents
   the transient loops which would otherwise occur during topology
   changes.  It does this by correctly sequencing the forwarding
   information base (FIB) updates on the routers.

   This mechanism can be used in the case of non-urgent (management
   action) link or node shutdowns and restarts or link metric changes.
   It can also be used in conjunction with a fast re-route mechanism
   which converts a sudden link or node failure into a non-urgent
   topology change.  This is possible where a complete repair path is
   provided for all affected destinations.

   After a non-urgent topology change, each router computes a rank that
   defines the time at which it can safely update its FIB.  A method for
   accelerating this loop-free convergence process by the use of
   completion messages is also described.

   The technology described in this document has been subject to
   extensive simulation using real network topologies and costs, and
   pathological convergence behaviour.  However the mechanism described
   in this document are purely illustrative of the general approach and
   do not constitute a protocol specification.  The document represents
   a snapshot of the work of the Routing Area Working Group at the time
   of publication and is published as a document of record.  Further
   work is needed before implementation or deployment.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-ordered-fib

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-ordered-fib-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-rtgwg-ordered-fib-12

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/