Subject: [SECMECH] Second secmech bof

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:46:16 -0400

As you will recall we had a bof on security mechanisms at IETf 63.
Two topics were under discussion: security mechanisms useful under
multiple frameworks and security mechanisms meeting urgent needs of
the EAP community.

Both topics received support at the bof.  However it was not clear
that there were sufficient volunteers to accomplish the first item of
multi-framework mechanisms.  The proponents of that proposal have been
working to build support and to refine their proposal.  They believe
that if there is a specific well defined proposal it will be easier to
evaluate and easier to get interest in.

It is important that this work not block the critical need of
standardizing EAP mechanisms that meet the needs of the IETF and other
SDOs.  Jari has approached me with a proposal on this front.  He
believes there are enough open issues on exactly what we want to do
that we need a second bof.  He enumerated these issues and so I tend
to agree with him.

I intend to approve the second bof for eap methods work once some
details are worked out.  The secmech bof at IETf 63 counts as the
first bof on this proposal.

Note that at some level the two items in the secmech bof have split.
The bof at IETF 64 will not cover multi-framework mechanisms.  As
such,it will not count as a second bof for that proposal.

--Sam

_______________________________________________
SECMECH mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secmech