Subject: collated comments for -dns (RFC 4255) and -kbdinteract (RFC 4256)

From: Jacob Nevins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:42:50 +0000

Since there hasn't been any obvious activity on -dns (4255) and
-kbdinteract (4256), I've taken it upon myself to collate the comments
I've made and seen on the list in the format the RFC Editor appears to
want.

Since I'm not a listed author, I don't plan to actually send this to
the RFC Editor (unless someone suggests that I do); I hope that it
saves someone some time.

(In fact, now that the references have been fixed, I can't see any
edits that -dns desperately needs; so what's below just covers
-kbdinteract.)

This includes the changes that I recently posted about to the
"Eyeballs needed" thread. I could lose the language-tag stuff if it's
deemed too disruptive.

1)
Abstract
- modify a line (for consistency with other documents)
OLD:
   The Secure Shell Protocol (SSH) is a protocol for secure remote login
                    ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
NEW:
   The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol is a protocol for secure remote login
                    ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

2)
Section 3 "Protocol Exchanges"
- insert the following text after the 1st paragraph:

   These are the values of the method-specific constants used with
   this authentication method:

      SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_INFO_REQUEST           60
      SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_INFO_RESPONSE          61

3)
Section 3.1 "Initial Exchange", 2nd para
- remove words
OLD:
      string    language tag (as defined in [RFC-3066])
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NEW:
      string    language tag

4)
Section 3.1 "Initial Exchange", 4th para
- insert words
OLD:
   the specified language for any messages sent to the client as part of
NEW:
   the specified language (as defined in [RFC-3066]) for any messages...
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5)
Section 3.2 "Information Requests", 4th para
- remove words
OLD:
      string    language tag (as defined in [RFC-3066])
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NEW:
      string    language tag

6)
Section 3.2 "Information Requests", 6th para
- replace paragraph
OLD:
   If the language tag is not the empty string, the server SHOULD use
   the specified language for any messages sent to the client as part of
   this protocol.  The language tag SHOULD NOT be used for language
   selection for messages outside of this protocol.  If the server does
   not support the requested language, the language to be used is
   implementation-dependent.
NEW:
   If the language tag is not the empty string, it MUST be as
   defined in [RFC-3066].

7)
Section 3.2 "Information Requests", 7th para
- replace text
OLD:
   ...method would typically be backended by [PAM]...
                                ^^^^^^^^^
NEW:
   ...method would typically be implemented on the server by [PAM]...
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

8)
Section 3.4 "Information Responses", 5th para
- modify 2 lines
OLD:
   normalize passwords and usernames whenever they are added to the
   database, or compare them (with or without hashing) to existing
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^
NEW:
   normalize passwords and user names whenever they are added to the
                               ^
   database, or compared (with or without hashing) to existing
                ^^^^^^^^

9)
Section 5 "IANA Considerations"
- remove the following text:

   The following method-specific constants are used with this
   authentication method:

      SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_INFO_REQUEST           60
      SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_INFO_RESPONSE          61

10)
Section 7.1 "Normative References"
- remove spurious year
OLD:
   [SSH-ARCH]      Ylonen, T. and C. Lonvick, Ed., "The Secure Shell
                   (SSH) Protocol Architecture", RFC 4251, November
                   2005.  2005.
                          ^^^^^
NEW:
   [SSH-ARCH]      Ylonen, T. and C. Lonvick, Ed., "The Secure Shell
                   (SSH) Protocol Architecture", RFC 4251, November
                   2005.