Subject: Re: [rt.icann.org #2774] draft-ietf-secsh-transport

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:34:03 -0800

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 14:17, Michelle Cotton via RT wrote:
> This message is to follow-up on our recent discussion.
> Please reply back to this message to let us know what changes need to 
> take place in the registry
> 
> Please copy approrpriate persons on your reply so everyone knows what's 
> going on (ADs, other authors/WG chairs).
> 
> Thank you,

Currently, you have:

  30      SSH_MSG_KEXDH_INIT                   [SSH-TRANS]
  31      SSH_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY                  [SSH-TRANS]
  32-49   RESERVED (method specific)

This should be:

  30-49   RESERVED (key exchange method specific)	[SSH-ARCH]

future key exchange methods will define how *that method* uses the
messages in range 30-49.  reuse of those codepoints is okay because the
peers pick a specific key exchange method before you use any messages in
that range.

see draft-ietf-secsh-architecture-22, section 7.

Similarly, you have:
     60   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_INFO_REQUEST        [RFC-ietf-secsh-auth-kbdinteract-07.txt] 
     61   SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_INFO_RESPONSE 
  62-79   RESERVED (User authentication method specific)

which should be:

  60-79   RESERVED (User authentication method specific)	[SSH-ARCH]

Future documents defining new user authentication methods will define
how *that method* uses the 60-79; this should not be a mistaken for an
assignment of values in that range to that specific method.

						- Bill