Subject: [Sidr] DRAFT SIDR Charter

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:03:14 +1100

Alex, Bill,

I recall at the NOF that you mentioned generating a draft charter for SIDR by the 28th November. AS its (just) still the 28th at least somewhere in the world, here's what's been drafted to date.

The residual area of discussion concerns specifying the form of certificate repository and the form(s) of repository access, where one view is that these should be within the chartered activity for this working group and another view is that the potential deployment scenarios are sufficiently broad such that a single profile of certificate repository structure and access makes  little sense in terms of a base technology standard.

In any case here's the draft charter for your consideration

thanks,

     Geoff

-----------------------

Secure Inter-Domain Routing (sidr)
Last Modified: 2005-11-28 (V4)

Chair(s):
  TBD

Routing Area Director(s):
  Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
  Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
  TBD

Other Advisors:
  ? Security: TBD
  ? Routing: TBD

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: [email-masked]
  In Body: (un)subscribe
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/index.html

Description of Working Group:

  One of the areas of vulnerability for large scale Internet
  environments lies in the area of inter-domain routing. The basic
  security questions that can be posed regarding routing information
  is that of the validity of the address prefix being advertised, the
  validity of the originating Autonomous System Number, and the
  existence of an explicit permission from the address prefix holder
  to allow the prefix to be advertised from this origin. A related
  question concerns the level of trust than can be ascribed to
  attributes of a route object in terms of their authenticity,
  including consideration of the AS Path attribute..

  The Routing Protocol Security Group (RPSEC) has been chartered to
  document the security requirements for routing systems, and, in
  particular, to produce a document on BGP security requirements.
 
  The scope of work in the SIDR working group is to formulate an 
  extensible architecture for an interdomain routing security 
  framework. This framework must be capable of supporting incremental 
  additions of functional components. As and when interdomain routing
  security requirements are completed within the RPSEC Working Group,
  these requirements will be defined within the SIDR framework as
  functional components of a secure interdomain routing system.

  The scope of work will include describing the use of certification
  objects for supporting the distribution of authentication 
  information. Both strict hierarchical and distributed non-
  hierarchical trust systems are intended to be supported within
  this framework.

  The scope of work is limited to inter-domain router-to-router
  protocols only, for both unicast and multicast systems.

  The SIDR working group is charged with the following tasks:

  - Document an extensible interdomain routing security architecture

  - Document the use of certification objects within this secure
    routing architecture
    
  - Document specific routing functionality modules within this
    architecture that are designed to address specific secure routing
    requirements as they are determined by the RPSEC Working Group

Goals and Milestones:

April-06  Submit initial draft on inter-domain routing security
          architecture

May-06    Submit  initial draft on certificate objects to be used
          within this architecture

May-06    Submit initial draft on securing origination of routing
          information

Sept-06   Submit routing security architecture for publication as an
          Informational RFC

Nov-06    Submit description of use certificate objects by this 
          architecture as an Informational RFC

Dec-06    Submit secure origination mechanism as a Proposed Standard

Jan-07    Evaluate progress, recharter with new goals or shutdown.

_______________________________________________
Sidr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr