Subject: [Sidr] Summary of the SIDR BOF

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:53:35 +1100

Thanks to all those who participated in the SIDR BOF. Presentations made at 
the BOF have now been uploaded tot he IETF Proceedings page, and minutes 
are being prepared. The following has been passed to the ADs as a summary 
of the BOF.

    Geoff

====

SIDR SUMMARY

   The BOF reviewed the current status of RPSEC, and the current state of 
design activity in the area of secure inter-domain frameworks. The 
proposition was advanced that while RPSEC has not concluded as yet, there 
is sufficient impetus to commence work on infrastructure and protocol 
support mechanisms intended to address aspects of securing inter-domain 
routing. The specific area where there has been clear agreement in the 
requirements specification activity is that of authentication of route 
origination.

   The proposed work would include consideration of the relevant 
certificate infrastructure to support information validation. It was noted 
that the outcomes of this activity should be capable of supporting 
hierarchical rooted PKI models as well as decentralized "web of trust" 
models if at all possible, as the intended scope of application of this 
framework encompasses a broad diversity of deployment environments.

   There was support from the BOF attendees for the aspects of the work 
where there is clear agreement on requirements, concerning authentication 
of route origination information and use of associated certificate 
frameworks, to be undertaken immediately. The question of charter scope was 
considered and the rough consensus in the BOF was to support a charter that 
encompassed a more comprehensive security framework for inter-domain 
routing, but with a caveat that commencement on any particular component of 
the work would be conditional on clear agreement on requirements from the 
RPSEC Working Group.

Next steps are to draft a charter and associated milestones for this work 
for IESG review.

_______________________________________________
Sidr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr