Subject: [Sigtran] How about publishing FULL documents that would INCLUDE implementors guides ?

From: "Pascal Bouveron \(Netbricks\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:43:53 +0200

Dear all,

This remark is intended for the drafts publishers, but surely reflects a
thought that, i'm sure, most people here will share with me.

I'm pretty sure that most of us would appreciate to be able to download FULL
upgraded drafts documents that would include the latest implementors-guides,
rather than having to manually upgrade by themselves their own copy of the
drafts/RFC with that many Implementors-guides that are published from time
to time.
For instance: a document like
"RFC3332-upgraded-with-implementors-guide-06.txt" would be appreciated by
all of us.

The idea here is to have only one trusted source for full reference
documents.
This would definitely get rid of the risk of typos in the manual upgrade
operations, which could easily lead to mis-understanding, and therefore
potential problems in the actual implementation of the draft/RFC.
And that again for each I-G that is published.

Not talking about saving the hours of individual text editing that are
required to upgrade our own copies of the draft(or RFC) documents with the
implementors-guides that were just released, of course multiplied by the
hundrers of people all over the world who are doing the same to remain
current.
Let's imagine the painful task for people who are new to Sigtran, and have
first to download the RFC3332 (M3UA), and then apply 6 Implementors-guides
changes into that original RFC before finally having a working document that
is current...

I see that the "draft-ietf-sigtran-m2pa-10.txt" document is a FULL document,
not only a list of upgrades.
Why not have the same principle for upgrades on RFC's ?

Best regards / Meilleures salutations
Pascal Bouveron
=============================================
www.netbricks.com
Netbricks - Provence - FRANCE
Tel: (+33) (0)4 42 91 44 77 -- Fax:  (+33) (0)4 42 91 44 71
=============================================

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:21:46 -0600

Pascal,

Where did you get the impression that you have to apply six
upgrades to RFC 3332?  The normative text is RFC 3332.  The
various I-G drafts are WG working documents.

I would prefer draft-ietf-sigtran-rfc3332-bis-XX.txt as well,
but Lyndon kept extolling the virtues of a delta RFC vs.
a replacement RFC.  Why was a delta document so much better
again Lyndon?

--brian

Pascal Bouveron (Netbricks) wrote:                                                  (Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:43:53)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/