Subject: [siprec] Text on how often(soon) SRC should send metadata/updates to SRS in protocol draft

From: "Ram Mohan R (rmohanr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 06:50:34 +0000

When Paul and me were reviewing the metadata draft we were discussing on
how quickly a SRC has to send updates to SRS. The updates can any
update(of CS changes ) from SRC from SRS. Currently we don't have any
recommendation / text on this in Protocol or Metadata draft.

For example, Suppose there is a sequence of changes on a single
<participantstreamassoc> XML element as below:

T1: associate-time (A participant starts contributing to a stream)
 -- snapshot 1 sent from SRC to SRS
T2: disassociate-time ((A participant stops contributing to a stream)
T3: associate-time (starts contributing again)
-- snapshot 2
T4: disassociate
T5: associate
T6: disassociate
-- snapshot 3

Any of the above can happen. Ideally an SRC is expected to send snapshot
updates as soon as possible (i.e after every transaction of CS). We have
discussed this point earlier in mailing list.

The question is - Should we mandate this (MUST ?) with some text or just
add it as RECOMMENDATION. I am inclined with having it as RECOMMENDATION
and leave it to the implementors on deciding how soon they want to send
the updates from SRC to SRS.

In any case we need some text and I believe section 9 of Protocol draft
that talks about 

Sending metadata from SRC to SRS is the right place to have this text.

Comments ?

Regards,
Ram