Subject: RE: Receipt Request Attribute

From: "Jim Schaad (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:49:32 -0700

Tom,

My opinion on this would be:

1.  A CounterSignature can contain a receipt request.
2.  The receipt request on the original SignedData and the receipt receipt
on the CounterSignature can be different.  The requirement is that all
receipt requests in a SignerInfo sequence be the same and a CounterSigner
has a different SignerInfo sequence

jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Kung [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 10, 1999 11:48 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Receipt Request Attribute

Gooday,

I would appreciate clarification on the following with respect to the
Receipt Request attribute:

1.	May a CounterSignature contain a receipt request?

2.	If so, MUST all receipt requests in a SignedData be identical?  The
spec specifies that all Receipt Requests be identical.  Is it the intent
that CounterSignatures containing a receipt request MUST also be identical
with other receipt requests if it exists?  I don't see why each
countersignature can not have a different receipt request.

thanx,tom.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Pawling)
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:56:29 -0400 (EDT)

All,

I respectfully disagree with Jim's reply to Tom's message.

First, ESS Section 1.3.4, Placement of Attributes, states: "The only
attributes that are allowed in a counterSignature attribute are 
counterSignature, messageDigest, signingTime, and
signingCertificates."  This means that receiptRequest attributes are
not allowed to be carried in a counterSignature attribute.

Second, IMHO, it does not make sense to request a signedReceipt for
a counterSignature.  A signedReceipt is intended to prove that a
recipient received and was able to verify the signature of the
message sent by the signer.  What would a signedReceipt prove 
for a counterSignature since the thing that is signed is not
a message, it is the originator's signature of the original message???

I do not believe that we should change ESS to allow receiptRequests 
to be included in counterSignature attributes.

- John Pawling