Subject: Q: Ordering of encryption and signing of a S/MIME message

From: Bernd Matthes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:21:33 +0200

Hi to all!

My Question is:
Is it useful a message as first to encrypt and 
then to sign the encrypted result,
in example the encapsulatedData of a pkcs7SignedData structure 
is a pkcs7encrypted data structure?
I know, it's senseless... ;-) but i found nothing in the standards.
Is there any sensible reason against this procedure(i hope so)?

thanks in advance.

with kind regards
-- 
Bernd Matthes                   Gemplus mids GmbH --
Senior Software Engineer    	   formerly Celo Communications GmbH
Dipl.-Ing.(FH)                  R&D Center Germany
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Complexity breeds bugs. Bugs prevent adoption, lack of" \
"adoption results in death. Death not good." "Life sucks."