Subject: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-housley-cms-fw-wrap-00.txt

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:11:47 -0800

This isn't about S/MIME, but it is about an interesting use for CMS. 
It would be great to get this right the first time, so CMS folks 
might want to poke at this a bit.

>To: IETF-Announce: ;
>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-to: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-housley-cms-fw-wrap-00.txt
>Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:31:28 -0500
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>
>	Title		: Using CMS to Protect Firmware Packages
>	Author(s)	: R. Housley
>	Filename	: draft-housley-cms-fw-wrap-00.txt
>	Pages		: 36
>	Date		: 2003-2-12
>
>This document describes the use of the Cryptographic Message Syntax
>(CMS) to protect firmware packages.  A digital signature is used to
>protect the firmware package from undetected modification and provide
>data origin authentication.  Encryption is optionally used to protect
>the firmware from disclosure, and compression is optionally used to
>reduce the size of the protected firmware package.  A firmware
>package loading signed receipt can optionally be generated to
>acknowledge the successful loading of a firmware package.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-housley-cms-fw-wrap-00.txt
>
>To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
>ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-housley-cms-fw-wrap-00.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>	[email-masked].
>In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-housley-cms-fw-wrap-00.txt".
>
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>
>[The following attachment must be fetched by mail. Command-click the 
>URL below and send the resulting message to get the attachment.]
><mailto:[email-masked]?body=ENCODING%20mime%0D%0AFILE%20/internet-drafts/draft-housley-cms-fw-wrap-00.txt>
>[The following attachment must be fetched by ftp.  Command-click the 
>URL below to ask your ftp client to fetch it.]
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-housley-cms-fw-wrap-00.txt>