Subject: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:14:32 -0800

Of interest to this WG...

>To: IETF-Announce: ;
>Cc: [email-masked]
>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-to: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt
>Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:45:27 -0500
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working 
>Group of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: S/MIME AES Requirement for SIP
>	Author(s)	: J. Peterson
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt
>	Pages		: 6
>	Date		: 2003-2-26
>
>RFC3261 currently specifies 3DES as the required minimum ciphersuite
>for implementations of S/MIME in SIP.  This document updates the
>normative guidance of RFC3261 to require the Advanced Encryption
>Standard (AES) for S/MIME.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt
>
>To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
>ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>	[email-masked].
>In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt".
>
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>
>[The following attachment must be fetched by mail. Command-click the 
>URL below and send the resulting message to get the attachment.]
><mailto:[email-masked]?body=ENCODING%20mime%0D%0AFILE%20/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt>
>[The following attachment must be fetched by ftp.  Command-click the 
>URL below to ask your ftp client to fetch it.]
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt>

---

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:50:11 -0500

I'm glad that the draft is some of interest to this WG, since we could
probably use some advice from the S/MIME experts on our direction.

This document proposes to profile S/MIME for SIP, specifically by exchanging
the mandatory Triple-DES encryption algorithm requirement for AES. Some of
the reasons why AES would be a better fit for SIP are given in the draft.
There is, however, some concern that this might lead to non-interoperability
with standard S/MIME stacks, and so on.

I see that rfc2633bis 2.7 makes Triple-DES mandatory. Is it likely that
S/MIME down the road will require AES? Does the proposal in this draft seem
like a wrong-headed profile to this WG?

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Hoffman / IMC [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 10:15 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt
> 
> 
> 
> ><mailto:[email-masked]?body=ENCODING%20mime%0D%0AFILE%20/i
nternet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt>