Subject: RFC 3850 on Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 3.1 Certificate Handling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:47:52 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3850

        Title:      Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions
                    (S/MIME) Version 3.1 Certificate Handling
        Author(s):  B. Ramsdell, Editor
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       July 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 37446
        Obsoletes:  2632

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3850.txt

This document specifies conventions for X.509 certificate usage by
Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) agents.  S/MIME
provides a method to send and receive secure MIME messages, and
certificates are an integral part of S/MIME agent processing.  S/MIME
agents validate certificates as described in RFC 3280, the Internet
X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and CRL Profile.  S/MIME
agents must meet the certificate processing requirements in this
document as well as those in RFC 3280.

This document is a product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group
of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.