Subject: RE: Request: Send me signed messages

From: "Fisher, James L." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:35:31 -0400

Assuming you really meant: Why should the sender check the status of the
recipient's encryption cert "at the time the message is [SENT]" (not
received)....

Because the sender would not want to encrypt (for confidentiality) using an
encryption cert that has been reported as stolen/compromised.  Otherwise the
thief could read the private message.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Joseph Doekbrijder
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 5:49 AM
To: Ed Gerck
Cc: Christine Karman; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Request: Send me signed messages

Ed Gerck wrote:

> to send encrypted email to many people you need each recipient's cert 
> (and you also
> want to make sure they are not revoked at the time they receive the 
> message, which
> is yet another problem).

Why does the sender need to make sure that the encryption certificate of 
the receiver is not revoked at the time the message is received?
IMHO this is irrelevant. (Otherwise one would not be able to read very 
old messages, etc...)