Subject: Re: draft-housley-binarytime-00.txt

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:15:56 +0200 (MEST)

> Peter:
> 
> You are asking about the signing-time signed attribute.
> 
> My comments were about the use of BinaryTime in general.

You are not answering my questions. may I conclude that you have no
application at all at hand? if so, what is the experiment? 

The proposed text concerns a a signing-time attribute. 
 
> 
> Russ
> 
> At 09:13 AM 9/15/2004, Peter Sylvester wrote:
> > > Comparison of a date/time value in a protocol to the current time from the
> > > operating system seems very obvious to me.
> >
> >And that comparison should lead to what result? The signature is too old,
> >not yet valid? What application are you thinking about? secure NTP?

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:42:57 +1200

Russ Housley <[email-masked]> writes:

>The application itself is not ready for release to the IETF, and it may never
>be released to the IETF.  However, please take a look at draft-housley-cms-
>fw-wrap.  This has many properties in common with the application that is not
>yet ready for release.  Basically, a content type is defined, and the use of
>CMS to protect that content type is specified.  S/MIME is not used, only CMS.

If it's meant for use in fw-wrap, couldn't it just be specified as an extra
attribute in there, along with the other attributes that fw-wrap introduces?

Peter.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:32:14 -0400

Peter:

That was what draft -00 did.  I changed it based on feed back from Peter^2.

Russ

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:48:48 -0400

Yes, I have an application.  It is using BinaryTime in the content, and the 
desire is to use the same date/time format throughout the application.

The application itself is not ready for release to the IETF, and it may 
never be released to the IETF.  However, please take a look at 
draft-housley-cms-fw-wrap.  This has many properties in common with the 
application that is not yet ready for release.  Basically, a content type 
is defined, and the use of CMS to protect that content type is 
specified.  S/MIME is not used, only CMS.

Russ