Subject: CMS Advanced Electronic Signatures (CAdES)

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:19:53 +0200

To the S-MIME list,

Copy: the PKIX list.

RFC 3126 has been issued in September 2001 and its title is:

"Electronic Signature Format for long term electronic signatures"

The contents of this Informational RFC is technically equivalent
to ETSI TS 101 733 V.1.2.2.

In the mean time, ETSI TC ESI has revised this Technical Standard (TS)
and is going to publish a new version of it with a new title :

CMS Advanced Electronic Signatures (CAdES), in order to be the "brother" of
XML Advanced Electronic Signatures (XAdES), published as ETSI TS 101 903.

In order to make this document widely available, ETSI has produced
an equivalent of the revised TS using the format of a RFC.

This document is temporarily available (by a kind hosting from Paul Offman)
from:

<http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/TEMP-draft-pinkas-smime-cades-00.txt>

until is is officially posted in the IETF repository.

The major changes are mentioned section  J :

   "The title of the document has changed to be aligned with the title
   of XAdES, the vocabulary used within the present document has been
   aligned with the vocabulary used in XAdES,

   In the previous version of TS 101 733 (i.e. version 1.5.1)
   sigPolicyHash was mandatory.  Implementations requiring to be
   backward compatible with version 1.5.1 and previous versions
   of the current document MUST include SigPolicyHash.

   The OIDs from the ASN.1 modules have changed for the following
   reasons:

    - the OIDs of the ASN.1 modules of RFC 2560 and RFC 3161 have been
      included.

    - since RFC 2459 and RFC 3369 has been obsoleted by RFC 3280 and
      RFC 3852 respectively, there was the need to refer to the OIDs
      of the ASN.1 modules of RFC 3280 and RFC 3852, instead of the
      OIDs of the ASN.1 modules of RFC 2459 and RFC 3369.

    - the other change is related to the field sigPolicyHash from
      SignaturePolicyId (see clause 5.8.1). That field was mandatory
      and is now optional."
 
It is proposed to progress this document within the S-MIME WG
as an Informational Standard.

Denis

---

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:15:16 +0200

To the S-MIME list,
Copy to the PKIX list.

The I-D for the transposition of the latest revision of ETSI TS 101 773,
renamed "CMS Advanced Electronic Signatures (CAdES),"
<draft-pinkas-smime-cades-00.txt> was temporarily available from :
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/TEMP-draft-pinkas-smime-cades-00.txt>
until available in the IETF repository.

It is now avaialble from the official IETF web site at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pinkas-smime-cades-00.txt

Denis

---

From: "Turner, Sean P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:39:18 -0400

The question at hand is someone in the working group willing to review this
ID?

spt

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Denis Pinkas
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:20 AM
To: S-MIME / IETF
Cc: pkix
Subject: CMS Advanced Electronic Signatures (CAdES)

To the S-MIME list,

Copy: the PKIX list.

The contents of this Informational RFC is technically equivalent to ETSI TS
101 733 V.1.2.2.

In the mean time, ETSI TC ESI has revised this Technical Standard (TS) and
is going to publish a new version of it with a new title :

In order to make this document widely available, ETSI has produced an
equivalent of the revised TS using the format of a RFC.

 
It is proposed to progress this document within the S-MIME WG as an
Informational Standard.

Denis