Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-cms-auth-enveloped-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The CMS AuthEnvelopedData Content Type
	Author(s)	: R. Housley
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-cms-auth-enveloped-01.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2007-1-30
	
This document describes an additional content type for the
   Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).  The authenticated-enveloped-data
   content type is intended for use with authenticated encryption modes.
   All of the various key management techniques that are supported in
   the CMS enveloped-data content type are also supported by the CMS
   authenticated-enveloped-data content type.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cms-auth-enveloped-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-smime-cms-auth-enveloped-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cms-auth-enveloped-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

---

From: "Turner, Sean P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:25:38 -0500

Russ,

Two comments/questions:

Sec 2.1: Don't we need an algorithm identifier for the mac algorithm?

Sec 2.1: Since the mac description says a digest is not used should we say
in the authAttrs description that the message digest attribute must not be
included if authenticated attributes are included (9.1 requires message
digest if authenticated attributes are used)?

spt

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-cms-auth-enveloped-01.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the
IETF.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cms-auth-enveloped-01.t
xt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in, type
"cd internet-drafts" and then "get
draft-ietf-smime-cms-auth-enveloped-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:55:40 -0500

>Sec 2.1: Don't we need an algorithm identifier for the mac algorithm?

No.  Authenticated encryption provides both.  Please see
draft-ietf-smime-cms-aes-ccm-and-gcm-00.txt to see two examples.

>digest if authenticated attributes are used)?

Yes.  That is a good improvement.

Russ

---

From: "Turner, Sean P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:43:48 -0500

Okay the oid in AuthEnvelopedData EncryptedContentInfo
contentEncryptionAlgorithm field is all encompassing.

> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Russ Housley
> Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:56 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-cms-auth-enveloped-01.txt 
> 
> 
> Sean:
> 
> >Two comments/questions:
> >
> >Sec 2.1: Since the mac description says a digest is not used 
> should we 
> >say in the authAttrs description that the message digest 
> attribute must 
> >not be included if authenticated attributes are included 
> (9.1 requires 
> >message digest if authenticated attributes are used)?
>