Subject: Protocol Action: 'Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Multiple Signer Clarification' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:39:30 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Multiple Signer Clarification '
   <draft-ietf-smime-cms-mult-sign-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Sam Hartman and Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cms-mult-sign-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This document clarifies the proper recipient handling of the
   SignedData content type when more than one digital signature is
   present. This draft updates RFC 3852.

Working Group Summary
 
   There was consensus to publish this within the WG.  One person
   raised two last call comments in IETF last call.  The first issue
   concerned how to handle signatures from different signers.  This
   issue was addressed.  The second issue proposed expanding the scope
   of the document to give more guidance on verifying signatures.
   This was discussed by the WG before the document was forwarded;
   there was no consensus to expand the scope in this way.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   This document has been reviewed by Sam Hartman for the IESG.