Subject: Your westernunion profile information is incorrect

From: "Western Union"<[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 06:18:41 -0400

Dear Western Union Member,

We are contacting your regarding your Western Union Profile Information. It
has come to your attention that your profile information does not match the
information your bank has on file.

Western Union has “written instructions” under the Fair Credit Reporting Act
authorizing Western Union to obtain information from your personal credit
profile or other information from a credit bureau.  Western Union is
authorized to obtain such information to confirm your identity to avoid
fraudulent transactions in your name.

Therefore, we invite you to update your profile:

https://wumt.westernunion.com/asp/regLogin.asp

(To complete the verification process you must fill in all the required
fields)

Please Note: If your account
information is not updated within the next 24 hours, your account will
become inactive.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Best regards,

Western Union Customer Service.

Western Union treats your personal information with
the highest standards of safety to protect you and your information. Please
do not reply to this e-mail. E-mail sent to this address cannot be answered.

Copyright © 2007 Western Union. All Rights Reserved.