Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-cades-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: CMS Advanced Electronic Signatures (CAdES)
	Author(s)	: J. Ross, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-cades-04.txt
	Pages		: 132
	Date		: 2007-9-5
	
This document defines the format of an electronic signature that can
   remain valid over long periods.  This includes evidence as to its
   validity even if the signer or verifying party later attempts to deny
   (i.e., repudiates the validity of the signature). 

   The format can be considered as an extension to RFC 3852 [4] and 
   RFC 2634 [5], where, when appropriate additional signed and 
   unsigned attributes have been defined.  

   The contents of this Informational RFC amounts to a 
   transposition of the ETSI TS 101 733 V.1.7.3 (CMS Advanced 
   Electronic Signatures - CAdES) [TS101733] and is technically 
   equivalent to it.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cades-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-smime-cades-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cades-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Kenji Urushima" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:48:48 +0900

Hi Nick and all,

I'm sorry for not commenting at once however
I have other three comments about updated
'draft-ietf-smime-cades-04.txt'.

With best regards,

- Kenji

*****************************************
*** (1) Archive TimeStamp V2 OID Name.
*****************************************

== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] CITE BEGIN
====
id-aa-ets-archiveTimestamp OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= 
{ iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9) 
smime(16) id-aa(2) 48}
== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] CITE END ====

The name of OID should be version 2 as follows.

== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] FIXED BEGIN
====
id-aa-ets-archiveTimestampV2 OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= 
{ iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9) 
smime(16) id-aa(2) 48}
== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] FIXED END
====

*************************************************************
*** (2) Old Archive Time Stamp OID Note
*************************************************************

== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] CITE BEGIN
====
NOTE 1: An alternative archiveTimestamp attribute, identified by 
        object identifier { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) 
        rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9) smime(16) id-aa(2) 27, is 
        defined in prior versions of TS 101 733.  The archiveTimestamp 
        attribute defined in versions of TS 101 733 prior to 1.5.1 is 
        not compatible with the attribute defined in the current 
        document.  The archiveTimestamp attribute defined in versions
        1.5.1 to 1.7.3 of TS 101 733 is compatible with current 
        document if the content is internal to encapContentInfo. 
        Unless the version of TS 101 733 employed by the signing party 
        is known by all recipients, use of the archiveTimestamp 
        attribute defined in prior versions of TS 101 733 is 
        deprecated.
== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] CITE END ====

It should also be clarify that ArchiveTimeStamp OID was
changed comparing to RFC 3126.
The 'NOTE 1' may be updated as following.

== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] UPDATE BEGIN
====
NOTE 1: An alternative archiveTimestamp attribute, identified by 
        object identifier { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) 
        rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9) smime(16) id-aa(2) 27, is 
        defined in prior versions of TS 101 733 and RFC 3126.  <<<--
ADDED
        The archiveTimestamp 
        attribute defined in versions of TS 101 733 prior to 1.5.1 
        and RFC 3126 is  <<<--- ADDED
        not compatible with the attribute defined in the current 
        document.  The archiveTimestamp attribute defined in versions
        1.5.1 to 1.7.3 of TS 101 733 is compatible with current 
        document if the content is internal to encapContentInfo. 
        Unless the version of TS 101 733 employed by the signing party 
        is known by all recipients, use of the archiveTimestamp 
        attribute defined in prior versions of TS 101 733 is 
        deprecated.
== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] UPDATE END
====

*************************************************************
*** (3) Issue date of ETSI TS 101 733 V.1.7.3 in references.
*************************************************************

=== 11.2 Informative references [Page 59] CITE BEGIN ==============
   [TS101733] ETSI Standard TS 101 733 V.1.7.3 (2005-06) Electronic 
   Signature Formats. 
=== 11.2 Informative references [Page 59] CITE END ==============

The date should be '2007-01'.

=== 11.2 Informative references [Page 59] FIXED BEGIN ==============
   [TS101733] ETSI Standard TS 101 733 V.1.7.3 (2007-01) Electronic 
   Signature Formats. 
=== 11.2 Informative references [Page 59] FIXED END ==============

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-cades-04.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of
the IETF.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then "get
draft-ietf-smime-cades-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

---

From: "Turner, Sean P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:34:38 -0400

We will deal with these during auth48, but they have been noted. 

>[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kenji Urushima
>Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2007 10:49 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-smime-cades-04 (RE: I-D 
>ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-cades-04.txt)
>
>
>Hi Nick and all,
>
>I'm sorry for not commenting at once however I have other 
>three comments about updated 'draft-ietf-smime-cades-04.txt'.
>
>With best regards,
>
>- Kenji
>
>
>
>== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] 
>CITE BEGIN ==== id-aa-ets-archiveTimestamp OBJECT IDENTIFIER 
>::= { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9)
>smime(16) id-aa(2) 48}
>== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] 
>FIXED BEGIN ====
>id-aa-ets-archiveTimestampV2 OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { iso(1) 
>member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9)
>smime(16) id-aa(2) 48}
>== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] 
>FIXED END ====
>
>== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] 
>CITE BEGIN ==== NOTE 1: An alternative archiveTimestamp 
>attribute, identified by 
>== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] 
>UPDATE BEGIN ==== NOTE 1: An alternative archiveTimestamp 
>attribute, identified by 
>        defined in prior versions of TS 101 733 and RFC 3126.  
><<<-- ADDED
>        The archiveTimestamp 
>== 6.4.1 Archive time-stamp attribute definition [Page 52] 
>UPDATE END ====
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
>Internet-Drafts directories.
>To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a 
>message to [email-masked] with the word 
>unsubscribe in the body of the message. 
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login 
>with the username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail 
>address. After logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail 
>reader implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII 
>version of the Internet-Draft.
>

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:04:08 -0700

>We will deal with these during auth48, but they have been noted.

That's silly. There is plenty of time in the remaining process for 
the authors to do another version so that the WG can review the 
changes for correctness. We haven't even had an IETF Last Call!