Subject: Document Action: 'CMS Advanced Electronic Signatures (CAdES)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:41:27 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'CMS Advanced Electronic Signatures (CAdES) '
   <draft-ietf-smime-cades-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cades-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This document defines the format of an electronic signature that can
   remain valid over long periods.  This includes evidence as to its
   validity even if the signer or verifying party later attempts to deny
   (i.e., repudiates the validity of the signature).    The format can be
   considered as an extension to RFC 3852 [4] and RFC 2634 [5],
   where, when appropriate additional signed and unsigned attributes
   have been defined.  

   The contents of this Informational RFC amounts to a 
   transposition of the ETSI TS 101 733 V.1.7.3 (CMS Advanced 
   Electronic Signatures - CAdES) [TS101733] and is technically 
   equivalent to it.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   While this work was initatiated in ETSI, this document was also
   discussed  by the S/MIME working group.  Issues were identified
   and resolved to maintain compatibility with implementations of
   RFC 3126, which it obsoletes.
 
Protocol Quality
 
Tim Polk reviewed this document for the IESG.