Subject: Registering smime-types

From: "Turner, Sean P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:47:40 -0400

Alfred's comment about updating the IANA registry for pkcs7-smime and
pkcs7-signature got me to thinking about the smime-types that are currently
used.  signed-data, enveloped-data, certs-only, and compressed-data are
addressed in RFC 3851 but the other content types we've defined
(authenticated-data, encrypted-data, and authEnveloped-data) and others
(content-with-attributes, content-collection, and others) don't have
smime-types defined.  Are these others used/defined someplace I don't know
about?

spt

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:21:29 -0400

The MIME types used by S/MIME are defined.  Not every CMS content
type has a MIME type.  They could be defined, but up to now, we have
been waiting for the need to surface first.

Russ

At 03:47 PM 6/16/2008, Turner, Sean P. wrote:

Alfred's comment
about updating the IANA registry for pkcs7-smime and pkcs7-signature got
me to thinking about the smime-types that are currently used.
signed-data, enveloped-data, certs-only, and compressed-data are
addressed in RFC 3851 but the other content types we've defined
(authenticated-data, encrypted-data, and authEnveloped-data) and others
(content-with-attributes, content-collection, and others) don't have
smime-types defined.  Are these others used/defined someplace I
don’t know about?

spt