Subject: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-smime-sha2-09

From: "Blake Ramsdell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:02:58 -0700

This message initiates an SMIME Working Group Last Call on the document:

	Title		: Using SHA2 Algorithms with Cryptographic Message Syntax
	Author(s)	: S. Turner
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-sha2-09.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2008-10-9
	
his document describes the conventions for using the Secure Hash
   Algorithm (SHA) message digest algorithms (SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384,
   SHA-512) with the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS). It also
   describes the conventions for using these algorithms with CMS and the
   Digital Signature Algorithm (DSA), Rivest Shamir Adleman (RSA), and
   Elliptic Curve DSA (ECDSA) signature algorithms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-sha2-09.txt

The purpose of this WG Last Call is to ensure that the Working Group has
achieved consensus that the document is suitable for publication as a
Standards Track RFC.

Please review the document for both technical and editorial problems.
Technical issues should be discussed on this list. Editorial issues may be
sent to the document editor.

The Last Call period will end on 20 October 2008.

Upon completion of the last call, the WG chairs will take action based upon
the consensus of the WG. Possible actions include:

    1) recommending to the IETF Security Area Directors
       that the document, after possible editorial or
       other minor changes, be considered by the IESG
       for publication as an Informational RFC
       (which generally involves an IETF-wide Last Call); or

    2) requiring that outstanding issues be adequately
       addressed prior to further action (including,
       possibly, another WG Last Call).

Remember that it is our responsibility as Working Group members to ensure
the quality of our documents and of the Internet Standards process.  So,
please read and comment!

Blake
-- 
Blake Ramsdell | http://www.blakeramsdell.com

---

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:45:36 +0200 (MESZ)

Folks,
I have already followed up the new version draft-ietf-smime-sha2-09
and reported off-list a single small typo, which could easily be
fixed at a later stage in the publication process.

Otherwise, all concerns I had raised in the past have been
addressed in a satisfactory manner, and the draft is in a
very good shape now.
Although not acknowledged in the draft, it has seen substantial
discussion on- and off-list, and as far as I can see, all concerns
raised on the list have been resolved as well.

Thus, I support forwarding this draft for publication;
it serves as a Normative Reference for the S/MIME v3.2 Message
Specification WG draft (draft-ietf-smime-3851bis-08) already
forwarded to the IESG, and hence is needed as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+