Subject: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-smime-3278bis-03

From: "Blake Ramsdell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:00:39 -0700

This message initiates an SMIME Working Group Last Call on the document:

  Title     : Use of Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Algorithms in
               Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
  Author(s) : S. Turner, D. Brown
  Filename  : draft-ietf-smime-3278bis-03.txt
  Pages     : 55
  Date      : 2008-10-22

This document describes how to use Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC)
public-key algorithms in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS). The
ECC algorithms support the creation of digital signatures and the
exchange of keys to encrypt or authenticate content. The definition of
the algorithm processing is based on the NIST FIPS 186-3 for digital
signature, NIST SP800-56A for key agreement, RFC 3565 for key wrap and
content encryption, NIST FIPS 180-3 for message digest, and RFCs 2104
and 4231 for message authentication code standards.  This document
will obsolete RFC 3278.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-3278bis-03.txt

The purpose of this WG Last Call is to ensure that the Working Group
has achieved consensus that the document is suitable for publication
as a Informational Track RFC.

Please review the document for both technical and editorial problems.
Technical issues should be discussed on this list. Editorial issues
may be sent to the document editor.

The Last Call period will end on 6 November 2008.

Upon completion of the last call, the WG chairs will take action based
upon the consensus of the WG. Possible actions include:

    1) recommending to the IETF Security Area Directors
       that the document, after possible editorial or
       other minor changes, be considered by the IESG
       for publication as an Informational RFC
       (which generally involves an IETF-wide Last Call); or

    2) requiring that outstanding issues be adequately
       addressed prior to further action (including,
       possibly, another WG Last Call).

Remember that it is our responsibility as Working Group members to
ensure the quality of our documents and of the Internet Standards
process.  So, please read and comment!

Blake
-- 
Blake Ramsdell | http://www.blakeramsdell.com