Subject: context name for sending out the trap/inform.

From: Daniel Chuang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 13:39:48 -0700

Hi, everyone,

    I apologize if this question has been asked before.

In RFC  3413:

sec 3.3. Notification Originator Applications

 When a notification originator wishes to generate a notification, it
  must first determine in which context the information to be conveyed
  in the notification exists, i.e., it must determine the
  contextEngineID and contextName.  .....

Then,
Is there any standard way to specify the context name for sending out
the notification since notify view is determined by context name prefix
or this is totally implementation dependent ?

Thanks for clarification.

Daniel

---

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:02:12 -0700

HI,

Management information exists in one (and possibly additional) contexts.
A notification generator must "know" this, as well as "know" the
reason for the notification and the object instances to include
in an object instance. All of that is independent from the
authorization rules. Conceptually, a generator puts together
a PDU with engineID and context string and hands it to the notification
distribution system which does filtering and management target
selection. Note that the description of the notification distribution
system is quite complex and difficult to understand in the RFCs.

>Thanks for clarification.
Regards,
/david t. perkins