Subject: [Softwires] Proposal for extension of Radius Accounting

From: Bruno STEVANT <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:42:05 +0100

Good day all

We at Point6 are working in the Softwires WG on a solution for IPv6  
access for Home Networks, as described in draft-toutain-softwire- 
point6box-00.txt
In this solution we use L2TP/PPP for IPv6 tunneling. Access AAA  
parameters are managed with Radius.

We found an issue with current FreeBSD PPP implementation on Radius  
accounting :
Attributes Acct-{Input,Output}-Octets and Acct-{Input,Output}-Packets  
are only based on accounting informations from IPCP. Since our  
solution only use IPV6CP, we have to modify the code in PPP to send  
IPV6CP accounting information in these Radius attributes.

The basic solution may be just to add IPCP and IPV6CP values and to  
transmit these sums as value for these attributes.
Another solution may also to have separate accounting attributes for  
IPv4 and IPv6. We think this may be only relevant for packets (as it  
is done in system MIBs for instance). Our proposal is to have two  
more attributes for Radius accounting : Acct-IPv6-Input-Packets and  
Acct-IPv6-Output-Packets.

The rational of this proposal is to give operators who deploy dual  
stack access solution some accounting information about IPv6/IPv4  
usage ratio.
We ask the Radext WG to take position on this proposal. Some inputs  
may also come from the Softwires WG.

Regards,
-- 
Bruno STEVANT - Point6

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: Bruno STEVANT <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:08:15 +0100

Hi all,

I published a draft explaining the problem :
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stevant-softwire- 
accounting-00.txt

I wont be present at the Interim. Laurent Toutain will do the  
statement for me.
Have fun in Hong-Kong :)

Le 3 févr. 06 à 14:42, Bruno STEVANT a écrit :

> Attributes Acct-{Input,Output}-Octets and Acct-{Input,Output}- 
> Packets are only based on accounting informations from IPCP. Since  
> our solution only use IPV6CP, we have to modify the code in PPP to  
> send IPV6CP accounting information in these Radius attributes.
>
> Another solution may also to have separate accounting attributes  
> for IPv4 and IPv6. We think this may be only relevant for packets  
> (as it is done in system MIBs for instance). Our proposal is to  
> have two more attributes for Radius accounting : Acct-IPv6-Input- 
> Packets and Acct-IPv6-Output-Packets.
>

-- 
Bruno STEVANT - Point6