Subject: Re: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG (2nd question)

From: Igor Bryskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 11:08:05 -0700 (PDT)

>I do like to hear comments from other people.

IMO this discussion (OSPF and BGP applicability and limitations wrt 
L1VPNs) was sufficiently covered in the l1vpn WG, and nothing being 
said now changes the fundamental arguments or conclusions of that discussion.

Lou

PS  PLEASE feel free to drop me from the to/cc line of this thread!

Although multi-instance OSPF was enthusiastically discussed and is ongoing work in OSPF WG, it was never discussed in the L1VPN context. Because it potentially can improve the saclability properties of the L1VPN OSPF solution IMO it defenitely deserves more discussions. I am very interested in the discussion and hope others too. You sound like want to shut it down. It is my understanding that anyone can start a discussion in IETF WG, and the discussion can be closed:
a) by a WG chair;
b) because it is out of WG's charter;
c) it distracts WG from more important things.

I don't see much going on in the L1VPN WG, the discussion is surely within the L1VPN WG charter and, unless I've missed the announcement, you are not a WG chair. Sure, I'll drop you from To: Cc: and Bcc lists of all my outgoing messages, but this won't help. So, if the discussion makes you nervous or annoys you in any way
PLEASE feel free to unsubcribe temporarily from the WG lists (;=)!

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 11:23:52 +0100

Hi Igor,

Not sure that the scope of this discussion is particularly appropriate to 
CCAMP and Softwires mailing lists. Might be more relevant on the L1VPN and 
OSPF lists. You could open a thread there if you want to debate this 
further.

> Although multi-instance OSPF was enthusiastically discussed and is ongoing 
> work in OSPF WG, it was never discussed in the L1VPN context.

Please see RFC 5253 section 7.1

     Alternatively, a separate instance of
     the OSPF protocol can be used just between PEs for distributing
     membership information.

This appears to be exactly the point you are making. So perhaps we are all 
in agreement?

Adrian