Subject: Re: [Softwires] Why not use AFTR IPv6 address for the new DHCPv6 option?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 09:53:41 +0800

Yes. 6rd is stateless, anycast address can be used for BR loadbalancing. But as stated in draft-zhang-behave-nat64-load-balancing, using anycast to do the loadbalancing for the stateless transition technology has the following drawbacks. Anyway, anycast address of BR can still be used by using a FQDN of the B4 in the DHCPv4 option. The same address(i.e. the anycast address) is returned when the DNS server receives the DNS resolution requests from CEs. FQDN solotion is more flexible.

The efficiency of this mode largely depends on the underlying
topology (e.g., location of NAT64 devices) and routing engineering
policies. Moreover, a stateless device may be overloaded if
the routing is not appropriately tuned and/or if the stateless devices
are not appropriately dimensioned.

Best Regards,
Zhenqiang Li
2011-07-04 

----- Original Message -----

From: Washam Fan 
Sent: 2011-07-03  12:02:07 
To: [email-masked] 
CC: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: Re: [Softwires] Why not use AFTR IPv6 address for the new DHCPv6 option? 
 
Hi Zhenqiang,

6rd is stateless, so anycast address might be used for BR
loadbalancing. I guess, that might be the reason why IP literal is
prefered over fqdn for 6rd case.

THanks,
washam

---

From: "Lee, Yiu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 02:07:37 +0000

No disagreement here. However, we can't argue that using anycast for
stateless 6rd BR does provide redundancy if an ISP designs the network
properly. On the other hand, stateful dslite can't use anycast.

On 7/3/11 9:53 PM, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>Yes. 6rd is stateless, anycast address can be used for BR loadbalancing.
>But as stated in draft-zhang-behave-nat64-load-balancing, using anycast
>to do the loadbalancing for the stateless transition technology has the
>following drawbacks. Anyway, anycast address of BR can still be used by
>using a FQDN of the B4 in the DHCPv4 option. The same address(i.e. the
>anycast address) is returned when the DNS server receives the DNS
>resolution requests from CEs. FQDN solotion is more flexible.
>