Subject: [tcpm] Revision of the TCP soft errors draft

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:39:31 -0800

Folks,

I have submitted a revision of the tcp soft errors draft (now 
draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors-00.txt). The draft will be on the 
internet-drafts repository very soon. In the mean time, you can 
access it from: 
http://www.gont.com.ar/drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors-00.txt

I think the draft is pretty stable now. The latest feedback addresses 
was miscellaneous editorial changes proposed by Pekka Savola.

It would be very appreciated to receive feedback on this version.

The Abstract of the draft is:
---- cut here ----
    This document discusses problems that may arise due to TCP's reaction
    to soft errors.  In particular, it discusses the problem of long
    delays in connection establishment attempts that may arise when dual
    stack nodes that have IPv6 enabled by default are deployed in IPv4 or
    mixed IPv4 and IPv6 environments.  The purpose of this document is to
    discuss this potential problem, and analyze the ways in which it
    could be worked around.  It does not to try to specify whether IPv6
    should be enabled by default or not.
---- cut here ----

The course of the draft was basically this:

* draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors-00.txt proposed the alternative 
processing of ICMP soft errors to avoid long delay between 
connection-establishment attempts. The WG agreed more discussion was 
needed on the pros and cons.

* draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors-01.txt included alternative ways to 
avoid the long delays between connection establishment attempts 
(several connections issued in parallel, etc.), and a discussion of 
the pros and cons of the proposed mechanism. The WG agreed to take 
the document as a WG item, provided it just discussed the alternative 
processing of ICMP soft errors, rather than "proposing" it.

* draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors-02.txt addressed those comments. 
This version of the draft does not propose the change, but rather 
limits itself to describe it and analyze its pros and cons.

* draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors-00.txt basically makes some 
miscellaneous editorial changes proposed by Pekka.

(All previous versions of the draft are available at: 
http://www.gont.com.ar/drafts/tcp-soft-errors.html)

Again, comments on the draft will be more than welcome.

Thanks!

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm