Subject: [tcpm] spurious timeout reaction

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:00:29 -0500

Folks-

Recently we posted an update to our i-d on reacting to spurious
timeouts.  It is:

        Title           : Using Spurious Retransmissions to Adapt the Retransmission Timeout
        Author(s)       : M. Allman, et al.
        Filename        : draft-allman-rto-backoff-04.txt
        Pages           : 8
        Date            : 2006-12-12
        http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-allman-rto-backoff-04.txt

The changes were pretty minor and editorial in nature.

We think the document is in decent shape and that it might make a good
standards track mechanism for reacting to spurious timeouts.  The basic
idea is that we say a TCP MAY make the RTO estimate more conservative in
the face of spurious timeouts with the hopes of avoiding future
timeouts.  In particular, we believe that since RFC2988 explicitly
allows a TCP to be more conservative than the estimator given in that
RFC that this reaction is already allowed and a stack using it would be
considered compliant.

The WG discussed this sometime back and we believe we have made all the
suggested updates.  Do folks have further thoughts?

Clearly my co-chair hat is off on this one.  Maybe Ted could advise us
of a procedure to determine what to do next on this?

Thanks!

allman

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm