Subject: [tcpm] Mark Allman: [Tsvwg] new version of early retransmit

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:18:52 -0500

Folks-

I sent the attached message to tsvwg a couple days back.  This is the
revival of an old document that was in tsvwg at about the time tcpm was
forming.  There is some wondering on the tsvwg list now about whether
this revival ought to happen over here.  In any case, comments
welcome... wherever they come from.

allman

Subject: [Tsvwg] new version of early retransmit
From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:04:33 -0500
List-Id: Transport Area Working Group <tsvwg.ietf.org>

We recently re-submitted the early retransmit I-D that we pushed along a
while back:
 
        Title           : Early Retransmit for TCP and SCTP
        Author(s)       : M. Allman, et al.
        Filename        : draft-allman-tcp-early-rexmt-04.txt
        Pages           : 10
        Date            : 2006-11-26
        http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-allman-tcp-early-rexmt-04.txt

We stopped pushing this I-D because some of our analysis of network
traces seemed to indicate that ER was sort of a crapshoot, failing as
much as succeeding.  However, given that we never went beyond sort of a
preliminary assessment and did not publish the results (/ let them stand
against peer review) we no longer think we should stop the ER draft
because of these results.  Further, the results were from on particular
network and it would seem useful to gain a broad understanding of how ER
works in a variety of environments.

My recollection is that once upon a time the TSVWG had some consensus to
take on ER as a work item with the intention of publishing it as an
experimental RFC.  I am not asking the WG that question right now.  But,
we may ask that question soon, if the chairs are amenable.  Right now we
just want to alert folks that this draft is out and solicit comments
From the WG.

Thanks!

allman

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm