Subject: [tcpm] Fwd: [Tsvwg] I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-00.txt

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:49:01 -0500

Folks,

FYI, we have submitted a new revision of our port randomization 
draft. This is the first revision of the doc since it was accepted as 
a wg item of the tsvwg.

Any feedback will be more than welcome.

Thanks!

>To: [email-masked]
>From: [email-masked]
>Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:20:01 -0500
>X-Spam-Score: 0.0 (/)
>X-Scan-Signature: 14582b0692e7f70ce7111d04db3781c8
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-00.txt
>X-BeenThere: [email-masked]
>X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.5
>List-Id: Transport Area Working Group <tsvwg.ietf.org>
>List-Unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg>,
>         <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
>List-Post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
>List-Help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
>List-Subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg>,
>         <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
>X-GMX-Antivirus: -1 (not scanned, may not use virus scanner)
>X-GMX-Htest: 0.46
>X-GMX-Antispam: 0 (Mail was not recognized as spam)
>X-GMX-UID: qgQxKIBAMydyh9prVGtlb79raGRhZlpf
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group 
>Working Group of the IETF.
>
>
>         Title           : Port Randomization
>         Author(s)       : M. Larsen, F. Gont
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-00.txt
>         Pages           : 22
>         Date            : 2007-12-06
>
>Recently, awareness has been raised about a number of "blind" attacks
>that can be performed against the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
>and similar protocols.  The consequences of these attacks range from
>throughput-reduction to broken connections or data corruption.  These
>attacks rely on the attacker's ability to guess or know the five-
>tuple (Protocol, Source Address, Destination Address, Source Port,
>Destination Port) that identifies the transport protocol instance to
>be attacked.  This document describes a simple and efficient method
>for random selection of the client port number, such that the
>possibility of an attacker guessing the exact value is reduced.
>While this is not a replacement for cryptographic methods, the
>described port number randomization algorithms provide improved
>security/obfuscation with very little effort and without any key
>management overhead.  The mechanisms described in this document are a
>local modification that may be incrementally deployed, and that does
>not violate the specifications of any of the transport protocols that
>may benefit from it, such as TCP, UDP, SCTP, DCCP, and RTP.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-00.txt
>
>To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
>[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
>the message.
>You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
>to change your subscription settings.
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
>username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
>logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>         "get draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-00.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>         [email-masked].
>In the body type:
>         "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-00.txt".
>
>NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>         up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>         how to manipulate these messages.
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
>
>ENCODING mime
>FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-00.txt
>
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-00.txt>

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm