Subject: [Terminology] John Scudder's Yes on charter-ietf-term-00-07: (with COMMENT)

From: John Scudder via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 06:22:03 -0700

John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-term-00-07: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-term/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading much (by no means all) of the list traffic, and after reading all
the Abstain positions others have written, I’m going with “yes” on this one. To
me it seems like some of the sentiments expressed by the more skeptical amount
to perfect being the enemy of good. Furthermore — and this is the deciding
point for me — in the broader industry, the train has clearly left the station.
We can lead, follow, or get out of the way, but doing nothing would be
tantamount to standing on the tracks.

I do think the charter has improved significantly since earlier versions,
although I also agree with Éric’s remark about “hollow marketing language” at
the end of the first paragraph.