Subject: [rbridge] Terminology Change?

From: "Eric Gray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:33:03 -0500

Silvano/Radia/Donald/Erik/Dinesh,

Based on an inconsistency pointed out during a review, I need to make
some of the terminology definitions more consistent.

I propose changing the following two definitions - 

   o  Egress RBridge: for any specific frame, the RBridge through 
      which that frame leaves the TRILL Campus. For frames 
      transiting a TRILL Campus, the egress RBridge is an edge 
      RBridge where RBridge encapsulation is removed from the 
      transit frames prior to exiting the TRILL Campus. 

   o	Ingress RBridge: for any specific frame, the RBridge through 
      which that frame enters the TRILL Campus. For frames 
      transiting a TRILL Campus, the ingress RBridge is the edge 
      RBridge where RBridge encapsulation is added to the transit 
      traffic entering the TRILL Campus.  

- to read as follows:

   o  Egress RBridge: for any specific frame, the RBridge at which 
      the TRILL header is removed from the frame prior to delivery
      to an end station (possibly via a LAN).  

   o  Ingress RBridge: for any specific frame, the RBridge at which 
      a TRILL header is added to the frame prior to being forwarded
      to one or more other RBridges. 

Is this change okay with you? 

--
Eric Gray
Principal Engineer
Ericsson 

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:23:50 -0700

>       to an end station (possibly via a LAN).  

This seems confusing, in that the LAN includes the campus and all stub 
segments. Did you mean "possibly via a stub segment"? Alternately, I'd 
keep the notion that once you leave a campus you leave forever, i.e., 
you can't leave a campus and enter it again.

>       to one or more other RBridges. 

Overall, I prefer the form that describes entering/leaving the campus in 
addition to adding/removing TRILL headers. The former is architectural, 
the second procedural, and defining them together couples the two in 
useful ways.

Joe

---

From: Dinesh G Dutt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:36:00 -0700

Yes,

Dinesh

-- 
We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by 
the depth of our answers.                               - Carl Sagan