Subject: [rbridge] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-trill-prob-03]

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:11:48 -0700

Hi, all,

Attached is info on an update to the problem statement.

 From Phila, there were no outstanding issues, and only Donald had 
pending text, which has been incorporated in this version.

As far as I can tell, this seems ready for last call...

Joe

Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-trill-prob-03
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:07:19 -0700 (PDT)

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-trill-prob-03.txt has been successfuly submitted by Joseph Touch and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-ietf-trill-prob
Revision:	 03
Title:		 Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): Problem and Applicability Statement
Creation_date:	 2008-06-16
WG ID:		 trill
Number_of_pages: 18

Abstract:
Current Ethernet (802.1) link layers use custom routing protocols 
that have a number of challenges. These routing protocols need to 
strictly avoid loops, even temporary loops during route propagation, 

 because of the lack of header loop detection support. Routing tends 
not to take full advantage of alternate paths, or even non-
overlapping pairwise paths (in the case of spanning trees). The 
convergence of these routing protocols and stability under link 
changes and failures is also of concern. This document addresses 
these concerns and suggests that they are related to the need to be 
able to apply modern network layer routing protocols at the link 
layer. This document assumes that solutions would not address issues 
of scalability beyond that of existing bridged (802.1) links, but 
that a solution would be backward compatible with 802.1, including 
hubs, bridges, and their existing plug-and-play capabilities. 

This document is a work in progress; we invite you to participate on 
the mailing list at http://www.postel.org/rbridge

The IETF Secretariat.

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge