Subject: [Tsvwg] Adding to SCTP socket API (different topic; )

From: Vlad Yasevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:31:57 -0500

Hi All

Is there any interest/support to adding an additional inteface
to SCTP socket API to convert peer address to association id.

I've been asked on how to do this at least 5 times in the last month
or so.  It looks like the only way to get the association id is from
the notification event and some people are looking for a different
conversion.

something like:
  sctp_addr_to_aid(int sd,
		   const struct sockaddr *addr
		   sctp_assoc_t *assoc_id);

  sd:  socket descriptor
  addr: address of the peer including port number.
  assoc_id: returned association id.

If there are no objection, I can flesh this out some more.

Thanks
-vlad

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Mark Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:53:49 -0700

>  assoc_id: returned association id.
I think it is a useful extension.  However, the normal way to get the 
association id is via the sctp_sndrcvinfo structure, which should be 
returned with every call to sctp_recvmsg. 

 - Mark

---

From: Vlad Yasevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:35:25 -0500

Mark Butler wrote:
> I think it is a useful extension.

Thanks.

>  However, the normal way to get the

That assumes that the app subscribed to the sctp_data_io_even.

It seems that the currect API spec is a bit contradictory in this regard.

Section 5.2, page 26 says:

   By default on a one-to-one style socket, SCTP will pass no ancillary
   data; on a one-to-many style socket, SCTP will only pass SCTP_SNDRCV
   and SCTP_ASSOC_CHANGE information.  Specific ancillary data items can
   be enabled with socket options defined for SCTP; see Section 7.3.

Section 7.3, page 68 says:

   By default both the one-to-one style and one-to-many style socket has
   all options off.

It looks like section 5.2 implies that SCTP_SNDRCV information is always
provided, but section 7.3 says that by default sctp_data_io_event is
disabled (thus SCTP_SNDRCV info is not provided).

Which should be the correct default?

Thanks
-vlad