Subject: [tsvwg] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-14.txt

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2020 16:42:02 +0100

Tsvwg'ers

We have finally posted a new revision of the encryption draft (below). 
This represents a compromise between different viewpoints and seeks to 
provide something that we can use to move forward. In particular, we're 
grateful for behind the scenes work by many people to form this text, 
and in particular for David's patience as the document shepherd. We 
extracted some text from section 5 into a new section 6. This seems (in 
retrospect) a useful place to bring together observations on eplicitly 
exposing information, rather than the OEM use-case (now the focus on 
section 5). In seeking useful words, we borrowed some throughts from 
Ted's IAB document (and specifically the security considerations of RFC 
8558).

We'd love to go further with this topic to discuss about what comes 
next, but as has been said before, this document is about 
considerations. I'm very conscious that this should have been published 
years ago, in preparation for the emergence of growing encyption. Alas, 
we did not have the foresight to do this. Hopefully this will be a basis 
to new thinking about how transport designs should evolve in a world of 
increased encryption. So, my question to the group: is it possible we 
can live with the current text and publish this?

Gorry & Colin

(with no-hats, as simple document editors)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-14.txt
Date: 	Fri, 03 Apr 2020 08:26:23 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>, Gorry Fairhurst 
<[email-masked]>, Godred Fairhurst <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-14.txt
has been successfully submitted by Godred Fairhurst and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt
Revision: 14
Title: Considerations around Transport Header Confidentiality, Network 
Operations, and the Evolution of Internet Transport Protocols
Document date: 2020-04-03
Group: tsvwg
Pages: 51
URL: 
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-14.txt
Status: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt/
Htmlized: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-14
Htmlized: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt
Diff: 
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-14

Abstract:
To protect user data and privacy, Internet transport protocols have
supported payload encryption and authentication for some time. Such
encryption and authentication is now also starting to be applied to
the transport protocol headers. This helps avoid transport protocol
ossification by middleboxes, while also protecting metadata about the
communication. Current operational practice in some networks inspect
transport header information within the network, but this is no
longer possible when those transport headers are encrypted. This
document discusses the possible impact when network traffic uses a
protocol with an encrypted transport header. It suggests issues to
consider when designing new transport protocols or features. These
considerations arise from concerns such as network operations,
prevention of network ossification, enabling transport protocol
evolution and respect for user privacy.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat