Subject: [tsvwg] Call for Papers: Third Workshop on the Future of Internet Transport (FIT 2021)

From: Naeem Khademi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 13:05:36 +0100

[Apologies in advance if you receive multiple copies of this email.]

*THIRD WORKSHOP ON THE FUTURE OF INTERNET TRANSPORT (FIT 2021) *
*https://networking.ifip.org/2021/workshops/third-workshop-on-the-future-of-internet-transport-fit
<https://networking.ifip.org/2021/workshops/third-workshop-on-the-future-of-internet-transport-fit>
*

Dear all

The *Third Workshop on the Future of Internet Transport*
<https://networking.ifip.org/2021/workshops/third-workshop-on-the-future-of-internet-transport-fit>
 will be held on 21st June 2021 in conjunction *IFIP Networking 2021*
<https://networking.ifip.org/2021/>. Please see the Call for Papers below
and consider submitting your novel research papers to this workshop.

*Scope of the Workshop*
Over the last several decades the Internet has been enriched with novel
communication technologies for both fixed and mobile networks providing
steadily increasing data rates and lower transfer delays. At the same time,
the internet research community has strived to further the development of
transport protocols that are able to leverage these new communication
technologies, however, this endeavor has been fraught with difficulties,
e.g., a widespread use of middleboxes which often drop packets from
protocols other than TCP or UDP; an almost universally used socket API that
many times unnecessarily limits the communication between the application
and transport layers; and, the fact that transport protocols are often part
of the operating system kernel, making the introduction of new protocols
or protocol features a slow process. In spite of these difficulties, a
number of steps have been taken in the past recent years to move the
development of internet transport protocols forward: (1) IETF’s Transport
Services working group (TAPS) and several industry stakeholders’ efforts to
introduce platform- and protocol-independent transport layer APIs, e.g.,
Apple’s Network.framework, the IETF TAPS API, and the NEAT API; (2) new
transport protocols being deployed on the wire that uses UDP as a
substrate, e.g., Google’s QUIC protocol, to get around middleboxes; (3)
new congestion control mechanisms other than TCP NewReno and Cubic, e.g.,
Google’s BBR, and finally (4) HTTP/3 that is an effort to port HTTP/2 over
QUIC. This has coincided with the introduction of new network technologies
such as 5G, and a network softwarization movement using virtualization and
containerization techniques, e.g., Software- Defined Networking (SDN) and
Network Function Virtualization (NFV). Still, with a seemingly never ending
stream of new communication technologies combined with more stringent
application requirements, it is not hard to foresee a need for a continued
improvement of already deployed transport protocols, as well as research
and development of new transport protocols and protocol features e.g.,

   - transport protocols for high-capacity, low-latency mobile networks,
   e.g., transport protocols for V2X, cloud gaming, Industry 4.0, and
   high-fidelity AR/VR/XR communication;
   - transport-protocol solutions for multipath communication, e.g., 3GPPs
   ATSSS multipath solution to offload mobile traffic to Wi-Fi;
   - transport protocols that meet the needs of future, more interactive
   and immersive Web applications, e.g., the development of the QUIC protocol
   and the BBR congestion-control mechanism;
   - transport protocols, not least userland transport protocols such as
   QUIC, in virtual environments;
   - SDN and cross-layer transport solutions;
   - new transport layer APIs that meet the need of tomorrow’s internet
   applications;
   - transport-layer security mechanisms, e.g., to address the conflicting
   requirements of securing sensitive data while at the same time provide
   legitimate access to enterprise proxies and firewalls; and,
   - in-network solutions to assist transport protocols in fixed and
   wireless networks.

*Topics of Interest*
FIT 2021 topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

   - Solutions to the Internet transport layer ossification (e.g., QUIC,
   TAPS)
   - Scalable, deployable, extensible and flexible transport protocol and
   service solutions for future networks (e.g., in 5G, Wi-Fi6, vehicular
   networks)
   - New transport protocols, services and requirements (including
   extensions to, or evaluations of, e.g., QUIC, SCTP, RTMFP, MPTCP)
   - Middlebox traversal techniques and signalling (e.g., ICE, STUN, TURN,
   UDP encapsulation)
   - Service oriented and expressive transport APIs and Berkeley socket API
   extensions
   - Multipath transports and intelligent multipath resource utilization
   and scheduling
   - Transport protocols for data-center networks with implications on the
   Internet (e.g., DCTCP)
   - Transport protocol interactions with the network, e.g., to better
   interoperate with Wi-Fi, cellular or satellite networks
   - TCP/UDP/IP extensions for richer transport services
   - Opportunistic use of QoS mechanisms (e.g., DSCP usage in WebRTC)
   - Less-than-best-effort transport protocols and services
   - Transport selection mechanisms (e.g., happy-eyeballing)
   - Transport layer security (e.g., TLS 1.3)
   - Web-based transport services (e.g., HTTP/2 and HTTP/3)
   - Novel congestion control schemes (e.g. coupled, delay-based, ECN
   based, Bottleneck Bandwidth and RTT based (e.g., BBR), model based)
   - Design and performance of transport protocols in userland
   - Transport protocols and solutions for multimedia traffic (e.g.,
   WebRTC, MPRTP, RTMFP)
   - Standardization of transport protocols and services (e.g., IETF TAPS)
   - Transport protocols performance in the virtualized and containerized
   environment
   - Performance of transport protocols in cloud/edge environments and with
   latency sensitive and bandwidth-hungry applications (e.g. AR/VR in
   automotive).
   - Novel Internet transport architectures

*Paper format and submission instructions*
Submitted papers should be unpublished work and they should not be under
review by any other conference or journal. They must be no more than 6
pages (IEEE two-column format, 10pt) in total including references and
figures. Papers will be reviewed single-blind. Accepted papers will appear
in the symposium proceedings published by IFIP and submitted to IEEE Xplore
Digital Library. At least one author of each accepted paper is required to
register and present the work in the workshop. See the guidelines in here
<https://networking.ifip.org/2021/workshops/third-workshop-on-the-future-of-internet-transport-fit>
.

*FIT 2021 co-chairs *
Associate Prof. Naeem Khademi (University of Stavanger, Norway)
Associate Prof. Karl-Johan Grinnemo (Karlstad University, Sweden)

*Technical Program Committee*
Prof. Michael Scharf (University of Applied Sciences, Germany)
Dr. Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson Research, Germany)
Prof. Michael Tüexen (FH Münster, University of Applied Sciences,
Germany) Dr. Yoshifumi Nishida (GE Global Research, USA)
Prof. Michael Welzl (University of Oslo, Norway)
Dr. Colin Perkins (University of Glasgow, UK)
Prof. Emmanuel Lochin (ISAE, France)
Assistant Prof. Gianni Antichi (Queen Mary University of London, UK)
Dr. Thomas Dreibholz (Simula Research Labs, Norway)
Prof. Gorry Fairhurst (University of Aberdeen, UK)
Dr. David Hayes (Simula Research Labs, Norway)
Prof. Jeorg Ott (Technical University of Munich, Germany)

*Important Dates*
Paper submission: 26 March 2021
Paper acceptance notification: 23 April 2021
Camera ready: 7 May 2021
Workshop: 21 June 2021

Cheers,
Naeem & Karl-Johan (FIT 2021 chairs)

Naeem Khademi
Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
University of Stavanger, Norway
PhD, Computer Networks
Office Phone: (+47) 518 311 77
Email: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Homepage: http://khademi.no