Subject: [tsvwg] [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-westerlund-tsvwg-dtls-over-sctp-bis-00.txt]

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:52:36 +0000

TSVWG,

We have just submitted a draft that is intended to specify a replacement to RFC
6083 (DTLS over SCTP). The main reason for updating this RFC is that it contains
a limiation that the SCTP user messages protected by DTLS was limited to 16383
bytes. It was realized in 3GPP that they have several signalling messages that
could become larger than that. Thus, from us author's perspective addressing
this issue at the root, i.e. in the IETF RFC that specifies DTLS protection of
SCTP user messages is the best plase to solve this. 

3GPP will discuss the general issue more in two weeks time at their meeting.
However, this work should be completed during this 3GPP release which means at
the earliest end of the year, but likely sometime in the first half of next
year. 

When addressing the main issue of message sizes that are supported we are also
addressing some additional issues including cipher requirements for the HMAC of
the SCTP messages. 

So I hope there are some interest in supporting this work.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Subject: I-D Action: draft-westerlund-tsvwg-dtls-over-sctp-bis-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 02:31:49 -0800
List-Id: Internet Draft Announcements only <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) over Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)
        Authors         : Magnus Westerlund
                          John Preuß Mattsson
                          Claudio Porfiri
                          Michael Tuexen
	Filename        : draft-westerlund-tsvwg-dtls-over-sctp-bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2021-01-15

Abstract:
   This document describes a proposed update for the usage of the
   Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) protocol to protect user
   messages sent over the Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP).

   DTLS over SCTP provides mutual authentication, confidentiality,
   integrity protection, and replay protection for applications that use
   SCTP as their transport protocol and allows client/server
   applications to communicate in a way that is designed to give
   communications privacy and to prevent eavesdropping and detect
   tampering or message forgery.

   Applications using DTLS over SCTP can use almost all transport
   features provided by SCTP and its extensions.  This document intend
   to obsolete RFC 6083 and removes the 16 kB limitation on user message
   size by defining a secure user message fragmentation so that multiple
   DTLS records can be used to protect a single user message.  It
   further updates the DTLS versions to use, as well as the HMAC
   algorithms for SCTP-AUTH, and simplifies the implementation by some
   stricter requirements on the establishment procedures.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-tsvwg-dtls-over-sctp-bis/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-westerlund-tsvwg-dtls-over-sctp-bis-00.html

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt