Subject: ANN: Java URI lib v0.7

From: Justin Couch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:54:07 +0900

It's taken a long time, but I'm finally getting there. Usual thing with
work and deadlines. It also signifies my return to some heavy duty URN
work at some spec level and hopefully some more discussions and pushing
here and there and everywhere....

Version 0.7 of my Java URI libray is now available from

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/java/urn/

Compared to v0.6, there are not so many major changes, but lots of many
minor bug fixes (some documentation fixes too!) as well as some pretty
severe stress testing. The software is released under the LGPL (2.0) but
if anyone is interested, other arrangements can be made :)

As a result of a lot of this work, I've noted a few rather large holes
in the current RFCs due to lack of maintenance. In particular 2169 needs
to be updated to deal with I2R rather than N2R sorts of issues. What is
the intended process for these to be updated. Is it done through this WG
or a separate, non-affiliated process?

Similarly, a long time ago I started writing up draft RFCs for dealing
with multiple resolver services and a resolver that defines the
resolution scheme in a file. Should these sorts of things proceed as
RFCs or not? I've never found that the hostname resolution schemes for
dealing with NIS/DNS/localhosts as a single entity have been made into
RFCs. What should be the process for making the equivalent for URNs
standardised - if at all?

The next bit falls into the marketing category as a pointer to where URN
work is being used actively in response to an email last week:

This library has formed the basis of work that my employers are
currently undertaking. The project is a mobile system for use with the
Australian Special Forces. The software is used in multiple roles -
counter terrorist, green and black operations. The mobile component and
the ability to look up data regardless of the physical location of the
computer and sources is central to this. Naturally URNs make an
extremely nice fit for this project.

The core URN library has been thoroughly tested over the last 6 months
out in the real world (including in real situations on the two way
range). The only reason it isn't currently called 1.0 is that there are
a few more features that I want to add. However, feel free to use it as
needed (note that the disclaimers in the documentation are there for
legal purposes, but it has been used for real stuff). Currently missing
from the public release are JINI and DNS based resolvers.

--
Justin Couch                                   Author, Java Hacker
Snr Software Engineer                     [email-masked]
ADI Ltd, Systems Group              http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/
Java3D FAQ:       http://tintoy.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~srp/java3d/faq.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Look through the lens, and the light breaks down into many lights.
 Turn it or move it, and a new set of arrangements appears... is it
 a single light or many lights, lights that one must know how to
 distinguish, recognise and appreciate? Is it one light with many
 frames or one frame for many lights?"      -Subcomandante Marcos
-------------------------------------------------------------------