Subject: Re: [weirds] bootstrap draft

From: Gavin Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 16:09:45 +0100

Hi Marc,

(wearing my CentralNic hat)

I am concerned about how this specification would effect those of us who
operate name registries within another's namespace.

As the registry for .uk.com domains (and a number of others), how do I
get our RDAP service registered in the rdap.arpa zone? Do I ask IANA to
create the records in the DNS, or do I ask Verisign? Would IANA even
accept a request from me? I would not like to have to ask Verisign for
permission to have a visible RDAP service. The DNS was designed to allow
people to create registries within their zones without asking permission
from their parent, and I hope RDAP will not hinder this freedom.

(not hat, or perhaps my RDAP.ORG hat)

Section 8 of this draft appears to conflict with
draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query, section 4, which permits a "base URL" to
which the standard path segments are appended. There is no mechanism in
your design for an RDAP client to determine the appropriate base URL,
only the host part. There is also no way to determine whether HTTPS
should be preferred over HTTP. I suppose you could use a NAPTR record
instead of address records, but an HTTP redirect seems more RDAP-like to
me (which is why RDAP.ORG exists).

G.

-- 
Gavin Brown
Chief Technology Officer
CentralNic Ltd
Innovative, Reliable and Flexible Registry Services
for ccTLD, gTLD and private domain name registries
https://www.centralnic.com/

CentralNic Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company
number 4985780. Registered Offices: 35-39 Moorgate, London, EC2R 6AR.

---

From: Jean-Philippe Dionne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 15:47:04 -0400

> me (which is why RDAP.ORG exists).

I noticed that too.  I guess a web server serving 
example.com.domain.rdap.arpa could accomodate to use only / as a base 
URL.  It should be the only service that will be hosted on that domain name.

The well-known-uris could also be used to register an alternate base URL.

Jean-Philippe