Subject: Re: [weirds] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-blanchet-weirds-bootstrap-ianaregistries-00.txt

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Jun 2013 16:49:19 +0200

>> The name com.domain.rdap.arpa resolves to a CNAME, A, or AAAA that points
>> at the server.  The server might redirect to something like
>> rdap.verisign-grs.com, or it might just be rdap.verisign-grs.com.
> 
> So for .uk and .co.uk, do you envision using DNS wildcards? I just don't
> like the idea of query for xx.yy and if you get NXDOMAIN, query for yy.

There's two possibilities.  One that could work is wildcards:

   $origin domain.rdap.arpa.
   *.uk CNAME rdap.nic.uk.
   *.ac.uk CNAME rdap.ja.net.

As far as I can tell, that should work properly due to the closest encloser 
rule described in RFC 4592.

The other possibility is just to bootstrap the TLD, and it's up to Nominet to 
redirect RDAP queries to Janet when appropriate.  Unless someone is aware of 
TLDs so dysfunctional that they would refuse to do this for a legitimately 
delegated subregistry, I prefer this approach.  It makes clients simpler, and 
also avoids the question of how IANA is supposed to decide when to believe 
someone who purports to run a subregistry.

For example, I have a contract with Neustar that says I run a bunch of 
geographic subdomains of .us. How is IANA supposed to tell that I still do run 
the watkins-glen.ny.us subregistry, but ithaca.ny.us was abandoned by its 
subregistry a decade ago and reverted to Neustar?  Neustar knows what 
subdomains they've delegated, so they know what RDAP redirects to do.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly