Subject: RE: Anyone there?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 98 11:14:47 -0500

Maria,
        I just got back from Networld+Interop and am trying to dig out from an
avalanche of e-mail.  I would like to discuss RFC1628 with you and others, as I
believe there are some aspects that need revision.   Liebert is a manufacturer
of UPS products.

-Sam Moore
 Liebert Corp.  (Emerson Electric)
 (614) 841-5411

-----Original Message-----
From:   <[email-masked] (Maria Greene) > 
Sent:   Wednesday, May 06, 1998 3:25 PM
To:     Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Cc:     [email-masked]
Subject:        Re: Anyone there? 

>>>>> "Randy" == Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]> writes:
    ...

    Randy> RFC 1628 has lots of DisplayString objects.  Would
    Randy> loosening this constraint to allow UTF-8 for
    Randy> internationalization (SnmpAdminString) cause problems?  The
    Randy> underlying syntax (OCTET STRING) and length constraints
    Randy> would presumably be unchanged.

Hi, Randy. Good question. According to the "letter of the law"
(RFC1902, section 10.2) it can't be. I believe we would need to
deprecate and re-define the objects. However, agents implemented to
the old MIB would still be conformant to the new definition, so this
seems overly restrictive. I believe we would have to get "special
dispensation" to make this change without giving the objects new
OBJECT IDENTIFIERs. How important do you think this is? It effects
many working groups with MIBs that are advancing so maybe it should be
discussed on the v3 list?

Maria

 << File: RFC822.TXT >>